How can journalism express art today?

The lost art of journalism?

Journalism today is different from its past. Today the profession is tied inescapably from the capitalist society and its freedom is constricted by the media moguls. It could be said that in this way journalism has lost its creative art form.

Journalism is a non-fiction narrative. A story is created for the readers, with a plot and characters, much like a fiction novel but infused with fact to create that narrative. There is an art to this manifestation based on real-life events.

The term ‘free press’ refers to the publication publishing what they want without the pressure of authority restricting their opinion. Opinions of the journalist were the centre-stage of publications, the style itself was an art because it allowed an expression of human curiosity.

Much like the expression of human emotion on a painter’s canvas, the journalists’ words on paper were creativity of opinion for an audience. They had a freedom to write and express themselves in hope that the audience would appreciate their opinion. Sometimes their expressions were a form of inspired protest against social happenings; this self-expression was journalisms’ artistic nature.

Today however, journalists can be viewed critically as manipulators of the socio-political world. Seen less as creative and artistic visionaries for the public and more so as workers in the interest of the politicians or the boss with the pay cheque, their freedom to express opinion is constricted by the professions’ tie to capitalist society. Journalists are sometimes made to write a piece against their opinion, forced to go against their subjective nature.

Art is about the ability to self-express, to manifest value judgements, to inspire, ignite and inform an audience. Journalism was an art in this sense, it motivated the audience through its creative story in hope to be heard or stimulate change. More controlled than before, the artistry of journalism seems increasingly lost to those in dominance.