Image: Julia Maudlin/ Flickr

Culture Shocks: A spot of fishing in Cambodia

The usual allure for travellers when visiting Cambodia is unsurprisingly the temple complex of Angkor Wat. The twelfth century monument stands as the biggest religious structure in the world and has the spirituality and beauty to complement this acclaim. However, the stand out from my time in Siem Reap, the closest town to the monument, came not from Angkor Wat but rather a day spent amongst Cambodian locals.

It all started the previous night. We befriended a group of Cambodians; bonding over pool and some drinks. The next morning we asked if they knew of anything to do on the off-chance they could recommend something unique. They suggested taking us out to their local watering spot to fish. We jumped at the opportunity.

the stand out from my time in Siem Reap… came not from Angkor Wat but rather a day spent amongst Cambodian locals.

They picked us up the next morning and ferried us there in what they called ‘tuk-tuks’: essentially an auto rickshaw. The journey wasn’t long but it was eventful. I had the chance to pass through several Cambodian communities, seeing local homes and even a school, as well as seeing how extraordinary the re-fuelling process is in Cambodia. As we pulled to the side of the road next to a rickety shack that was apparently a stall, we were met by the owner of this make shift store who exchanged a glass Coca-Cola bottle filled with what looked like olive oil for a ridiculously low sum. Our driver poured this into his engine and off we went.

After having a beer and setting up a few hammocks our guides taught us how to fish the Cambodian way – it was what seemed like improvisation involving both the hands and nets. We didn’t exactly grasp this as quickly as we would have liked, much to the amusement of our Cambodian friends.

To add to the experience, we were also going to eat everything we caught for dinner that evening; it’s safe to say that if they had left the fishing entirely to us we would have gone very hungry indeed. Luckily this wasn’t the case. From the shore, we watched as one of them dove into the water and returned with a fish clasped between his hands. Practice had obviously been made into perfection.

Our guides taught us how to fish the Cambodian way – it was what seemed like improvisation involving both the hands and nets.

Initially we had been sceptical at the prospect of getting into the murky water given we hadn’t had the recommended vaccinations. However, the more we drank, the more liquid courage took hold and soon we were not only going in but pulling off all manner of acrobatics. We repeated these escapades until evening, when unfortunately a spontaneous thunderstorm meant we had to head back to the city.

Overall, it was the most basic of activities that made the most unforgettable of experiences.