Photo: Warwick Law Society

Warwick Law Society hosts first careers summit

Warwick Law Society hosted their inaugural Careers Summit, which was a two-day event that took place on campus.

The event sold over 100 tickets and had a range of speakers from the legal profession as well as from other industries such as consultancy and government.

Marissa Beatty, Summit co-ordinator, told the Boar that the objective of the summit was to engage and expose both law and non-law students to a variety of legal career paths as well inspiring law students to careers outside of the legal profession.

Over 100 students attended the first Warwick Law Society careers summit Photo: Warwick Law Society

Tickets provided accesses to the numerous panel events and breakout sessions that ran over the weekend event and covered a variety of themes and topics such as the future of the Bar and Commercial Law.

The talks given by the individual speakers were equally as diverse, including personal insights into being a trainee solicitor, such as the talk given by Rowan Smith, a trainee solicitor at Bindmans LLP who discussed ‘The Life of a Human Rights Trainee and How to Get There’. Broader talks on the current state of the legal profession were also presented.

Ms Beatty wanted to expose students to a variety of career opportunities Photo: Warwick Law Society

Jess Cuttris, a 3rd year History student commented that she found the summit “packed full of interesting speakers and useful workshops.”

She added: “As a history student hoping to pursue a career in law, I found the experience very informative and inspiring.”

Valentina Tosato, a 3rd year Law student, said that ‘It was particularly interesting to hear first-hand, about the experiences working as a barrister or a trainee. Thanks to this session, I feel confident about the steps I will need to undertake after University in order to become a fellow trainee at a Family law firm.’

On the careers summit as a whole, Alex Campbell, a Partner at Fieldfisher, said that he thought the event “was a huge success… I thought the talks I saw were perfectly pitched for the audience and the variety of sessions held were very impressive.”

As well as these events that occurred over the weekend, ticket-holders were given the opportunity to network and gain personal contacts with the delegates from the various law firms, academia, and other companies in the the financial sector.

This was the first careers summit held by the Law society. This adds to the comprehensive summit calendar, which Warwick societies put on each year.

More summits, such as the Warwick Economics Summit, are scheduled to take place over the coming weeks.