Image: Warwick SU \ Facebook.

Warwick Bass petitions for second room during Pop!

Warwick Bass Society has started an online petition to “provide a secondary party in the Copper Room 2 during Pop!”

This is aimed at people who “circle but dislike Pop music”.

POP! is a weekly club night which takes place in Copper Room 1 every Wednesday. This has been going on for several years.

The night is extremely popular with students from sports clubs in particular, with the £4 tickets selling out very frequently.

The Students’ Union (SU) website advertises the night as a way to pay “tribute to those sing-along retro classics we all know and secretly love.”

The playlist usually includes songs such as Mr Brightside, Cha Cha Slide and the Grease soundtrack.

However, some students are currently unhappy with the music played during the event. Second-year Physics student Tom Allison states: “If you thought pop had any spirit to begin with, then you’re looking for the wrong nights out.”

Katy Hall, a first-year History student, defends Pop by saying: “we all know it’s awful and that’s why everyone loves it.”

Warwick Bass Society would like to start playing bass music in the upstairs room, Copper Rooms 2, while POP! takes place in the venue’s downstairs on Wednesday night. The petition so far has more than 200 supporters on change.org.

Valerio Masini, an Erasmus student, is quite pleased with the idea. He says: “since there’s already a room upstairs, it’s worth it to use it.”

First-year English student Emma Tarcy thinks: “it would definitely be a good idea as it would then attract more people.

“Also just plain pop does get a bit repetitive week after week!”

Jennifer Barnard, first-year English and French student, says: “I think the SU should run a second room at Pop kind of like the downstairs of Smack.”

According to her, there should be “a second regular event on the weekend with chart music so that people who come to visit can go out with us.”

She also adds: “And I’d like for Disco Dave to stop wearing that stupid toupee”

The Warwick Bass Facebook page invites its members to sign the petition with: “Sign this if you cry alone on Wednesday night because you’re lactose intolerant and can’t handle the cheese.”