This light-hearted show is full of love and scandal

Review: MTW presents ‘Anything Goes’

As a great fan of musicals I was really looking forward to this show for two reasons. Firstly because it’s not a musical I’ve seen before, which was refreshing, and secondly because of MTW’s unrivalled reputation to produce brilliant theatre and spectacular musical numbers. Although at times a few fairly major technical glitches held the show back from fulfilling its potential, the audience held no grudges as they roared with laughter, praising every number and finally ending on their feet with a standing ovation for this bunch of musically talented students.

Shining stars of the show for me are Rob Madge as Moonface Martin and Jessica Williams as Reno Sweeney. Madge is effortless in his ability to be a lovable villain and holds clear talent, an obviously strong triple threat and true musical theatre performer. Williams too holds her own with some brilliant numbers, showing great promise in ‘You’re the Top’ and reaching her peak in the brilliant ensemble number ‘Anything Goes’. Her strong acting abilities carry her through, despite having a beautiful voice she could easily hide behind as many others do in musical theatre, Williams proves herself.

Favourite numbers for me are the ensemble tap dance in the finale of act one and ‘Blow, Gabriel, Blow’

Oscar Street is the hidden gem of Warwick’s musical talent. He is thoroughly humorous and engaging playing his part of Lord Evelyn Oakleigh with excellence. I was crying real tears of laughter during his ‘The Gypsy in Me’ number, which was my favourite moment in the show – it’s worth getting a ticket just to see this. Street should be immensely proud of his ability to capture an audience and his clear talents in singing and high-kicks.

An ensemble can often fade into the background and be seen as stage fillers, but not in ‘Anything Goes’. They lift the performance to another level with their stunning vocals. Favourite numbers for me are the ensemble tap dance in the finale of act one and ‘Blow, Gabriel, Blow’.

Madge is effortless in his ability to be a lovable villain and holds clear talent, an obviously strong triple threat

I’m awarding another 5 stars for MTW to put under their belts, not because this was a perfectly polished theatrical experience, but simply because it is such a fun show to watch and all too often we forget that the theatre is there to entertain and, despite some errors, entertain MTW certainly did.

This light-hearted show is full of love and scandal, making for perfect afternoon entertainment at their Saturday matinee or indeed for their final show on Saturday evening. Grab your student tickets for £9.50 from the Warwick Arts Centre box office or visit http://www.warwickartscentre.co.uk/whats-on/2016/mtw-anything-goes/

• I was privileged to see this show on Saturday night .
    It really was a spectacular performance , great sets, good songs sung with great enthusiasm and the dance routines were terrific not a missed step.
    The whole cast must be congratulated for a wonderful performance .

• Tracey Pickles

Fabulous show – talented students. Full of fun and laughter from beginning to end. We thoroughly enjoyed it. It was obvious the students enjoyed performing this show as well.