Image: Dushan Hanuska/Flickr

How to survive long-haul flights

I should begin by confessing that I am probably not the most travelled student at Warwick. What I have experienced however is a fair few long haul flights, three of which have been over eleven hours on a budget airline as part of my year abroad.

Through my own experiences, and those of some fellow year abroad travellers that I’ve collated, here is some advice that will make being stuck in a small space for a long time a little more bearable.

1. What to Wear:
Although a long haul flight seems like the perfect excuse to wear your pyjamas in public or at least to prioritise wearing the comfiest or heaviest clothes you own, it’s worth taking time to consider what you wear.

The temperature on a plane can be unpredictable so I’d suggest wearing or packing layers. You can put on more clothes if you’re cold, you can’t take them off if you’re too hot.

There can also be benefits to wearing smart clothes to the airport. Art Sejdiu, a Leeds University student currently studying in California said: “I dress smart and check in late, especially as a lone traveller. If you’re nice and look like you fit in, you might get an upgrade!” Just keep comfortable clothes in your hand luggage so you can change before the flight.

2. Where to Sit:
Provided you don’t have to pay extra, choosing where to sit is crucial; it might even be worth the extra.

Those with long legs or weak bladders tend to prefer aisle seats because they can stretch out or get to the bathroom more easily. That said, a six foot three Trinity College Dublin student also studying in California thinks it’s better to “book a window seat, it means people won’t wake you to get out.”

Window seats also give you great views, control over the blind and mean you’re less likely to fall asleep on a stranger. It’s all down to personal preference.

3. What to Bring:
There are several in-flight essentials.
When it comes to technology bring headphones, a USB charger cable or a portable charger and your phone, tablet or kindle with non-WiFi requiring books and apps already downloaded.

Some people bring travel pillows and blankets but I tend to just pack comfortable clothes that can double up instead. It saves space and weight in your hand luggage. I’d also suggest bringing a sleeping mask and comfortable socks to complete your DIY sleeping kit.

Travel sized toiletries. While ridiculously overpriced, it’s nice knowing you have toothpaste and deodorant ready for as soon as you land.

A handkerchief with tea tree oil. This is advice from my Gran, and while I was sceptical it can help stop you getting ill from the air circulating in the cabin.

Food. While airline food is really overpriced for long haul flights, I’d say it’s worth pre-booking a meal. Still bring plenty of snacks though, and sweets or chewing gum are good for helping with air pressure change during take-off and landing.

I’d suggest packing the things you’ll want for the flight in a bag within your cabin bag that way you’ll be able to get it out easily and avoid being that person who blocks the aisle while everyone’s trying to board.

It’s all pretty basic and most of these are things that you can sort before your flight, but hopefully, they might make being stuck in a chair without WiFi for half a day or more a little more bearable.

• ‘Control over the blind.’ Had to look twice at that. For a moment I thought you were insinuating that bagging a window seat was associated with a despotic rule over the visually impaired.

Handy handkerchief tip!