SU motion victory for accessibility of menstrual care products

Following the All Student Meeting (ASM) which was held on Monday 8 February, five out of six SU motions have seen success.

One of the motions, proposed by Chloe Wynne, focused on the accessibility of menstrual care products.

At the moment, availability of such products is limited to M W Phillips Pharmacy and Rootes Grocery Store on campus.

The cost of menstrual care products was also explained to be an “unfair burden” placed on those who need them.

As a result of the motion being passed, the Welfare and Campaigns and Democracy and Development Officers will investigate into offering the products at cost price in both the Rootes Grocery Store and M W Phillips Pharmacy.

The cost of having dispensers installed in accommodation blocks with cost price products will also be investigated.

Free menstrual care products will also be provided by the Union through the same type of funding that pays for free contraception.
Further motions that were passed include a review of university health services, improving on the consent culture at Warwick, working on spreading the SU’s institutional memory and acting on the study space crisis through the building of a new library, as well as creating “emergency study space.”

However, the motion of Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions for Peace relating to Israel’s occupation of Palestine was rejected.

The SU will try to endorse and implement the motion to the best of their ability.