Photo: Rach / Flickr

Warwick PhD student takes pictures up women’s skirts

A Warwick PhD student has been sentenced for taking pictures up women’s skirts at a wedding.

Collin Lieberg, a 34-year old PhD student who came to Warwick in 2011 to study Musicology, has allegedly took photos with a mobile phone around the hem of women’s skirts at a wedding reception in London, in July 2014.

Lieberg has denied all allegations, however, a member of the wedding party said that at the time he admitted possible guilt to the allegation. When initially confronted on whether he took the photos, Lieberg replied “possibly”, according to a report by the BBC.

It happened at a wedding Photo: Lindsey Child / Flickr

CCTV footage on the night shows Lieberg’s suspicious behaviour.

The married student from the USA has since suggested that he had a ‘nervous twitch’ while browsing various apps on his phone and has described himself as ‘socially awkward’.

Lieberg has been sentenced to a three-year community order, which consists of a sex offenders program.

However, questions have been raised over whether this verdict is really sufficient for a crime which Judge Christine Henson QC has said made women feel violated and “feel vulnerable in open spaces in the future”.

In some cases similar to this 18-month jail sentences have resulted, such as with the case of Neil Trotter, the information officer of the Scottish Government earlier this year.

• Why does it say ‘allegedly’ when he has been found guilty and sentenced?

Also, is the picture of the girl’s skirt blowing upwards really an appropriate choice?