The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

When asked to write about her favourite book that no-one has heard of, Simran Sandhu chose Aimee Bender’s The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

With her ninth birthday coming up, Rose Edelstein is eager to have a slice of the Lemon cake her mother has made for her birthday. But something tastes… odd. Hollow. Rose suddenly understands that she can taste her mother’s emotions. A quick series of tests proves that she can taste the emotions of any person who makes her food. Suddenly her positive, cheerful loving mother, her odd brother and her career-oriented father have far more going on than she ever thought. Food is perilous – anything can be revealed at dinner time.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake is a book about enduring the love you feel for people you know far too much about. It’s a stunning insight into familial love: hilarious, charming and heartbreaking. Little nuggets of wisdom pepper the pages presented in the perfect gift box. This book is so brilliant I couldn’t recommend it enough. Aimee Bender is a wonderfully unique writer with a smooth style that reads so effortlessly. This quirky novel is relatable, intriguing and a book to savour.

Image credits: Header (Chlot’s Run/Flickr)