BB-8 and Rey (Daisy Ridley). Image: Lucasfilm Ltd.

The Force Awakens – A Newcomer’s perspective

[dropcap]W[/dropcap]hen it comes to the Star Wars franchise I have always know absolutely zilch, except for what I gleaned from the character cards that came free in Walkers crisp packets in the early ‘90s (I had at least 10 of Jar Jar Binks) and the odd nugget I’ve picked up from Family Guy and pop culture in general. Darth Vader is Luke’s father and I think Luke once accidentally got his freak on with his sister Princess Leia. Am I right?

I went into the film completely cold in order to give the freshest take on the latest instalment, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and to judge whether the film works as a stand-alone narrative.

The good news is, it does. It is very clear that a lot has come before this story but enough basic information is provided for us newbies that I came to know the old characters and their relationships with relative ease. Without the characters explaining the plot Harry Potter-style, I learned the importance of the ship found abandoned in the desert (“This is the Millennium Falcon?” asks Rey) and felt the nostalgia that big fans are treated to when Han Solo is reunited with Princess Leia. I smiled as the row of men seated behind me cheered at the reappearance of much-loved characters and felt part of a little slice of history.

What really helped me find a foothold in this vast galaxy was that I was introduced to it through two central characters, young scavenger girl Rey and escaped Storm Trooper Finn, who too were discovering their place in the galactic war and in what had come before. I learned with them. I learnt of the Resistance, the heroes and the First Order. I learnt what ‘the force’ is and how it’s kind of a big deal if you have it. I learnt that the Storm Troopers really do have a god awful aim considering how many of them are against so few.

You'd think that at least one of these guys would hit something. Image: Lucasfilm

You’d think that at least one of these guys would hit something. Image: Lucasfilm

The new characters are well-rounded and sympathetic and I warmed to them immediately. Rey and Finn’s characters are played with sincerity and heart and the injections of humour from Finn and droid BB-8 in particular add a lovely, dare I say human touch to a galaxy ravaged by war. Look out for the lovable little BB-8’s thumbs up in an early scene that confirmed to me I made the right decision in throwing myself in at the deep end.

Something I really loved about Star Wars: The Force Awakens is its approach to gender. JJ Abrams’ women appear entirely equal to the male characters; there was certainly no withholding of force (if you pardon the pun) on their account. It was really refreshing not only to have such a strong female lead but also that the film didn’t make a point of it. There were no “wow, that girl can really kick ass” comments from incredulous men, everyone just got on with it.

In fact, the entire film was refreshingly unsexualised. Unlike countless superhero movies, there was no flashing of chiselled abs or cleavages, everyone was costumed for the practicalities of life on a warring planet

In fact, the entire film was refreshingly unsexualised. Unlike countless superhero movies, there was no flashing of chiselled abs or cleavages, everyone was costumed for the practicalities of life on a warring planet. Rey’s hair remained up for the entire film, a small but significant decision; there was no moment when she shakes her hair down for the benefit of the male gaze. As I said, everyone was getting on with it.

Rey (Daisy Ridley) and Finn (John Boyega) on the run. Image: Lucasfilm

My only criticism of the film’s plot concerns the dramatic climax of the film. I’m not one to give spoilers, so what I will say is that for such a pivotal moment in the narrative and indeed the entire franchise, the climactic scene was a bit incidental and undramatic compared to the many fight scenes on ships and the final showdown. The reaction of the original characters was equally underwhelming to the big event of the film, with the new protagonists most visibly affected, and it felt somewhat of an afterthought on the part of the screenwriters.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed my first Star Wars experience. I’ve now been advised to watch the franchise from the start and will embark on this journey when I’m feeling brave. I want to find out who and what Jar Jar Binks actually is…