Juliet (Claire Danes) in WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE'S ROMEO + JULIET. Image: 20th Century Fox

Shakespeare: The Bard on the Big Screen

[dropcap]F[/dropcap]rom classical re-makes of his original writings to modern day re-vamps, Shakespeare’s brilliance is just as prevalent on the big screen today as he is in the classrooms. In homage to the 400th anniversary of the death of Warwickshire’s local Bard this year, Katie Sewell has personally selected five of her favourite adaptations of Shakespeare in modern cinema.

10 Things I Hate About You

If you didn’t already know, this Ledger gem of the 90’s is actually based on Shakespeare’s ‘Taming of the Shrew’. Set in Padua High School, this script certainly has an added teen-edge, but thankfully has stayed true to the love story between Katherina and Petruchio. In my opinion, the film sees Heath Ledger in one of his best and most memorable performances. I defy anyone not to grin their heads off when he runs around the stadium singing. It’s also safe to say the film has definitely been updated to fit with modern ideals. The original script ends with Katherina pledging her obedience and loyalty to her husband… Which perhaps is a tad 16th Century. So in true girl-power fashion, Kat is quite the reverse in the film and remains a massive pain in the backside- even when he buys her a guitar. And we can’t help but love her for it.

MV5BMTczODk3MzAyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDMyODAyNw@@._V1__SX1218_SY687_

Image: Touchstone Pictures

So in true girl-power fashion, Kat is quite the reverse in the film and remains a massive pain in the backside- even when he buys her a guitar.

Much Ado About Nothing

Image: MGM

Beatrice (Emma Thompson) and Benedick (Kenneth Branagh) in Much Ado About Nothing. Image: MGM

Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh sparkle as the conflicting duo of Beatrice and Benedict in this 1993 adaptation of Much Ado. The film stays close to the original script, and whether you like this aspect of the film really depends on your personal opinion. The misogyny and old language holds centre stage, and has not followed the same formula that 10 Things followed in terms of adapting to modern society’s standards. However, I personally really like that the film has stayed true to the play. In the case of Much Ado, I think that a contemporary audience can still connect with the comedy in the same way audiences did four hundred years ago. The hard-core slurs between my all-time favourite Shakespearean duo, Benedict and Beatrice, are still hilarious. At one point, he even calls her a ‘parrot-teacher’. Enough said.  Get ready to ‘Hey Nonny Nonny’ to your heart’s content.

The Lion King

Image: Disney

Image: Disney

This Disney staple of our childhood is brilliant for any time of year, and you don’t ever need an excuse to watch The Lion King. However, if you are looking for one, the anniversary of Shakespeares’ death is perfect. Arguably, there are a few tiny differences between The Lion King and Hamlet. Like the obvious fact that the main characters are jungle animals in this adaptation. And instead of it being Denmark, it’s now the African Savannah. These technicalities, The Lion King is loosely based on a Shakespearean masterpiece, with Scar playing the evil uncle role, and Simba returning to save the kingdom. Even the bit where Mufasa appears in the stars mirrors the scene where they appear to see the ghost of Hamlet’s father. As well as celebrating The Bard, the soundtrack of truly banging tunes has also got to be a good reason to make you want to watch it again.

Romeo and Juliet

Romeo (Leonardo DiCaprio) in WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE'S ROMEO + JULIET. Image: 20th Century Fox

Romeo (Leonardo DiCaprio) in WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE’S ROMEO + JULIET. Image: 20th Century Fox

Shakespeare’s classic story, with an artsy Baz Luhrmann- twist. This is an absolute must-see version of The Bard’s most well-known piece. This Oscar-nominated revisit adds glitz and glamour, big fancy- dress balls and thumping party music, all whilst sticking to Shakespeare’s intended vernacular. Unfortunately, the film’s ending is just as tragic as in the original, but the addition of Leonardo DiCaprio in this case certainly softens the final dreadful blow. Plus, before the inevitable happens, you get to watch that dreamy fish-tank scene where they first fall in love. Aw.

She’s The Man

Image: Paramount Pictures

Image: Paramount Pictures

Before Amanda Bynes disappeared off our screens, She’s The Man was no doubt one of her best ever films. Based on Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night, the film even stays true to the Shakespeare’s original character names, with Bynes playing Viola and Channing Tatum playing her heart’s desire Duke Orsino. Aside from the hilarity of watching Bynes impersonate her brother, the film earns extra points for staying close to the original play. The film, although adapted to a university setting, still focuses on the love triangle between Duke, Viola, and Olivia. And for those that have seen this film already, I think you’ll agree that the scene on the spinning teacups where she loses her sideburn is hands- down hilarious. Guaranteed laughs and brilliant farce, it’s a must-watch if you haven’t already.