Image: Warwick Media Library

Pop the economics bubble

[dropcap]W[/dropcap]arwick, without question, is one of the absolute best universities in the UK for Economics. It’s a fact we are all aware of as Warwick students, and one that indeed should be celebrated.

However upon starting at Warwick this year, I found myself overwhelmed by the consumption this university appears to have with the subject and its related areas. As an Ancient History student, before starting at Warwick I had no idea what a spring week was, or even honestly what investment banking was really about.

Four months on, and I find myself immersed in the Economics bubble, watching my new friends and flatmates panic themselves, as they network for prospective jobs that they won’t even potentially start for three years yet.

As an Ancient History student, before starting at Warwick I had no idea what a spring week was, or even honestly what investment banking was really about.

Although the sheer amount of opportunity Warwick offers for those trying to get into the Finance sector is fabulous for those interested, what about the many other students on very different degree courses that want different for themselves?

As are many other Humanities students, I am interested in the media and in the charity sector, but Warwick appears to have a distinct lack of career events aimed towards these students.

Warwick appears to have a distinct lack of career events aimed towards these students.

This also brings me onto the point that Warwick as a microcosm in itself does not respect the arts subjects in anywhere near the same light as Economics. Living in a flat of Economists and Engineers, I am frequently teased (in jest) about my degree choice.

Upon meeting the hundreds of new people I met as a Fresher, many didn’t believe I had any career prospects at all, being frequently told that ‘I was wasting three years’.

Upon meeting the hundreds of new people I met as a Fresher, many didn’t believe I had any career prospects at all

An example close to home for me is Classics. Classics is arguably one of the oldest disciplines in the world. Yet Classics is still continually mocked as being ‘pointless’ and ‘irrelevant’. But yet Classics graduates still have very good career prospects, especially from Warwick, with students entering politics, the media and even, good gracious, finance.

I’m not saying that Economics students are narrow-minded. I’m saying that the general atmosphere at Warwick is one that needs changing, by all of us. We need to broaden our educational horizons, and embrace other career areas other than investment banking.

I’m not saying that Economics students are narrow-minded. I’m saying that the general atmosphere at Warwick is one that needs changing

We should also equally celebrate the amazing Arts and English faculties at this University that the students here have worked incredibly hard for places to study with. I firmly believe you can get what you want out of life without viciously competing with and putting-down the people who are also on the same journey with you.

To conclude, yes Warwick is brilliant for Economics. But Warwick is also amazing for History, and English, and many other degrees that students embark upon here, and I think it’s important that we don’t lose sight of this fact.