New year’s resolutions can change lives

[dropcap]W[/dropcap]hile New Year’s resolutions can be sloppy and half-hearted, the more crucial ones are usually worth making.

The holiday season can be a stressful time for anyone suffering with a mental health problem, whether they have anxiety and don’t enjoy being in social situations; or are recovering from an eating disorder and are faced with the pressure to over-indulge.

2015 was my most successful year to date, and I wouldn’t be able to look back on it so proudly if I hadn’t have set that goal on January 1

I struggled with depression throughout my teenage years and developed anxiety when I came to university. I wouldn’t leave the house, missed so many seminars and would walk to and from places praying I didn’t bump into anyone who wanted to talk to me.

When last New Year’s rolled around, a lot had changed in my life that seemed beyond my control and I wanted to regain autonomy over my life.

Unsurprisingly, the past twelve months haven’t been easy. I’ve had sudden relapses and it occasionally got worse before it got better.

But going into the New Year, I have never felt more stable and accomplished. 2015 was my most successful year to date, and I wouldn’t be able to look back on it so proudly if I hadn’t have set that goal on January 1.