New year, no more resolutions?

[dropcap]N[/dropcap]ew Year’s resolutions. It seems you can’t escape them nowadays. Whether it’s people making statuses of ‘new year, new me’ or people posting pictures of their salads on Instagram; why do we insist on making these ridiculous claims every year?

You know you can join that gym, and buy as many lycra pants as you want but you’re lying to yourself if you think you’re suddenly going to go to the gym five times a week.

The resolutions we make hold too much expectation too soon.

Resolutions date back to around pre-539 BC so it seems logical that by now we should have perfected the art of mastering our goals.

This doesn’t seem the case, when mid-January you ask people how their resolutions are going, inevitably they’ll say, ‘I forgot’. Why set yourself up for failure? You can better yourself at any time in the year, don’t start off with a set of ridiculous aims.

Another really annoying thing about resolutions is that when they do work, they work for everyone but you. As if it isn’t bad enough that you didn’t finally learn to cook, it seems everybody else is doing really well in their quests. Your best friend seems to actually be sticking to her Nutribullet smoothies and the guy in your seminar who you’d never seen in a lecture before actually does the reading now.

Don’t get me wrong, I do think trying to better yourself is a wonderful idea, and I don’t dislike the principle behind resolutions. It just seems ridiculous that every year we sit down to make a list of things that in reality we know we’re going fail at three days later. You’re not becoming vegan for January, put down the chia seeds.