Photo: stux \ pixabay

New Copper Rooms club night

The Student Union (SU) has recently announced the launch of a new club night at the Copper Rooms: ‘Playlist’.

Featuring commercial house, dance and RnB, the SU website states that the night will be launched on the 16th of January, with artists 99 Souls making a guest appearance.

Despite future club nights not being listed in advance on the SU website, the Saturday event is looking set to replace the failed ‘Flirt’ night that previously took place in the Copper Rooms on a Friday.

The student reaction has been somewhat mixed, however, with Freddie Reeves, a second-year-history student, commenting: “nothing will ever hit the lofty heights of Flirt, so why are the SU replacing it when they could just bring it back?”

He went on to suggest that “not many people who live in Leamington are going to be bothered to go to campus for a night – it’s really only going to appeal to first years. It’ll probably just fall flat again.”

Isaac Leigh, president of the Students’ Union, expressed his hopefulness for the new night, stating that “Playlist is a great new dance night which provides something that the Copper Rooms doesn’t have at the minute”.

“Pop is your weekly dose of cheesy music, while students clearly preferred to go to Neon, Kasbah or Switch on a Friday night rather than Flirt. Playlist fills a genuine gap in the market on a night of the week which needs a good event for Warwick students.”

• Nobody actually likes ‘commercial dance’ lol. I wish the SU would actually try and foster some sort of artistic agency on the part of students rather than trying to continuously book shitty one-size-fits-all nights. Can we have some proper musicians at reasonable prices please?!

• SWITCH is massively popular in Leamington. SUs across the country have wild success booking relatively underground DJs and MCs. What the Copper Rooms needs is an event organiser who knows their stuff rather than the 40 year old ‘marketing specialist’ who they presumably employ at the moment.