My first term at university as a book: “On The Road”

By
Jan. 14, 2016
Posted in Books

[dropcap]T[/dropcap]his may seem a strange choice to describe my first term at university. After all, just looking at the way it is written, I’m a girl and Kerouac writes from a masculine, often chauvinistic, perspective.

Then there’s the setting: vast open roads and untamed nature, which couldn’t really be further from the neatly enclosed campus of Warwick.

And what about the plot? Freshers’ may be full of drunken mistakes, but these are invariably dwarfed by the reckless and self-indulgent behaviors of Dean and his companions.

Ultimately, it is not the content, but the premise and style of this book that led me to it when faced with the above question. If my first term were to be narrated, it would certainly be in Kerouac’s restless prose.

On The Road is a controversial work, generally cherished by teenagers who find solace in its promises of adventure and escape, and shunned by critics who condemn its lack of depth. And this very controversy reveals why I find the book so fitting.

On The Road is a controversial work…And this very controversy reveals why I find the book so fitting

My first term at Warwick was very much like being on the road; zooming through endless new experiences and opportunities; never stopping, never settling.

It was about dabbling in multiple things, from pole dancing to drama, from dodgeball to student journalism. It was about meeting new people and forming relationships that  change, grow and dissolve.

And, while the pace was exhilarating, I was left with no time to stop and think, or to locate myself within this crazy new world. Like Kerouac’s narrative, term one was luscious and thrilling, but it often lacked depth or aim.

Term one was luscious and thrilling, but it often lacked depth or aim

While I hope term two will continue to bring excitement and novelty, I will also search for a little more stability. In both my essays and life, I will seek for a narrative of shorter sentences, and more frequent punctuation.

Image Credits: Oisin Prendiville / Flickr (Header)