Colin Cloud performing at Royal Leamington Spa Centre on the 29th January

Interview: Colin Cloud on his Sherlock obsession, forensic science and comedy

On a sunny January morning this week I had a chat with the impressive Colin Cloud, aka, ‘The Deducitionist’ about his childhood obsession with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock, his passion for comedy, and the inspiration for his uncanny (but brilliant) act. It intelligently combines his knowledge of forensic science, psychology and perceptive wit that has seen him enjoy the success of two sell-out and critically acclaimed shows at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, joining the best-selling touring magic show ‘The Illusionists’, and the forthcoming production of a televised series with American broadcaster NBC. Colin’s latest show ‘The Forensic Mindreader’ combines and reworks much of his successful material, and is showing at the Royal Spa Centre in Leamington Spa on the 29th of January.

What ignited your interest in magic?

As a child I wasn’t all that interested in ‘magic’ as such, rather, I was fascinated by Sherlock Holmes, who, I was greatly disappointed to learn, was a fictional character! My interest in Doyle’s work sparked an interest in science and hypnosis. As an eight year old I would skim the Conan Doyle books and be enthralled by the Sherlock’s meticulous proficiency, in a sense, that was ‘magical’ to me as a child.

You’ve graduated with a Bachelor of Science (Honours) in forensic investigation, specializing in criminal profiling, at Glasgow Caledonian University. Since graduating you’ve chosen a less than typical career path in performance. What convinced you to pursue a career as a performer? What advice would you give current students who hope to pursue a career in performance?

In many senses, my childhood fascination with Sherlock has determined much of my life. My decision to study my degree course stemmed from him, but upon discovering that the reality of being a forensic scientist, I focused more on learning the techniques associated with deduction and hypnosis, and had a real admiration for comedians who had the ability to deploy these skills of acute awareness under the pressure of performance. At University I got involved with the stand-up comedy club, and all of my subsequent material has developed out of my passionate interest in comedy and its ability to absolutely connect with an audience. My advice to anyone who would like to pursue a career in performance, would be to embrace your own unique perspective, pursuing what enlivens you.

Your shows eclectically combine your abilities as a forensic scientist to astutely observe people, comedy and your love of Arthur Conan Doyle’s works. How did you develop the idea for your act?

In many senses the development of my show is ingrained in me. I was careful to avoid an ‘act’, as it were, as it seems to inhibit the performer’s connection with the audience. In this respect, comedy is a vital aspect of my performances; enabling me to build a rapport with the audience. Its rawness combats the artificiality of the idea of ‘magic’, its sharpness allowing for the creation of an original experience for both the performer and the audience.

If you had to summarise your latest show ‘The Forensic Mind Reader’ in three words, what would they be?

Real life Sherlock.

You readily embrace your description as a real-life Sherlock Holmes. How do your highly developed powers of inference come in handy in daily life?

Between exiting the stage and entering the dressing room, I try my best to switch-off the observational skill set that I’ve acquired. At University I was more inclined to use my skill set regularly, I don’t think I had to pay for a drink once, which was nice! But I find that performing regularly in front of an audience provides the outlet I need, and as many of the techniques I use can be mentally draining, saving myself for performances tends to give me the energy and focus to be able to develop these skills fully in front of an audience. Despite his influence, I’ve always been careful to avoid the abrasive elements of Sherlock’s character that unnerve or alienate people.

Following the tremendous success of two critically acclaimed shows at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, and joining the best-selling touring magic show ‘The Illusionists’, as ‘The Deductionist’ last year, what are your ambitions for 2016?

Fortunately, I have a wonderful team around me that has been able to support me in managing an increasingly hectic work schedule. This February I’ll be performing in Adelaide’s Fringe Festival, and during the rest of this year I’ll be touring with ‘The Illusionists’, beginning to develop material for an NBC production, and planning for my third show at the Edinburgh Fringe: my much awaited ‘third album’ so to speak, which I’m hoping will be as successful as the past two (a new wonderful pressure).