Image: Nottingham Trent University/ Flickr

Should Warwick have a freshers’ week?

[dropcap]I[/dropcap] think it is important to acknowledge the fact that the transition to university can be really challenging. Everyone tells you how great university will be, and it is!

However, anyone who tells you that it’s smooth sailing from day one is probably lying. In all honesty, leaving home can be really tough. I’m going to go right ahead and say that now for any fresher who feels like they’re still settling, and also state that that is totally fine.

No matter how ready you feel, in the space of twenty-four hours you have up and moved to a new place and you are suddenly expected to feed yourself three times a day. Now, I’m not saying that every fresher is going to find the move really hard, but the point I’m making is it is an adjustment, and people handle that in different ways.

It is an adjustment, and people handle that in different ways

My memory of freshers is a blur of excitement, confusion, and the sense that three years here wasn’t going to be enough time to do everything. But I also remember turning up to my first lecture and not knowing that there was set reading for week one and already feeling behind and slightly overwhelmed.

In first year in general, one of the biggest challenges was learning to balance a degree, a social life, and taking basic care of myself. While that might sound rather silly, finding time to eat, clean, and sleep, can be challenging sometimes when you are also trying to find your place and have those pesky deadlines.

One of the biggest challenges was learning to balance a degree, a social life, and taking basic care of myself

This is precisely why I think a freshers’ week without classes is essential. It gives people the opportunity to try to find a rhythm before beginning academic life. University is a stressful time, according to Warwick student support services, as many as 29% of us could experience mental health difficulties during the time of our degree.

Therefore, having a week to try and establish yourself can be important to the process of integration to university life. University is stressful, therefore having time to settle can help alleviate some initial stress. We should have the opportunity to make something new and all-inclusive that could accommodate more than just our party animals (although we do love you).

By not having a freshers’ week, the university fails to recognise that our experiences here are so much more than only our academic careers.

By not having a freshers’ week, the university fails to recognise that our experiences here are so much more than only our academic careers. Essentially, it would give freshers all a moment to catch their breath and find their feet, and take a moment to settle in before taking on the demands of academic life.