Global Student Stories

This week’s global student stories come from Kenya, South Africa, Japan and the US.

Kenya: Garissa University College reopens almost one year after attack

Classes recommenced at Garissa University College in Kenya on 11th January, nine months after Al-Shabaab militants attacked the university.

148 people were killed when Al-Qaeda linked Islamist militants stormed the campus on 2nd April 2015.

The Al-Shabaab group killed 148 at Garissa UniversityPhoto: Global Panorama / Flickr

It was one of the bloodiest terrorist attacks that happened in Kenya.

Most surviving students were transferred to other universities, and did not return.

Security measures have been increased, including a new police station on campus and higher number of police officers.

Garissa University College Principal Ahmed Warfa explained that “if we closed the school then Al-Shabaab would have won because they would have shut down a center of higher learning.”

South Africa: Students protest against online registration

Student protests against online registration have commenced at the University of South Africa, coinciding with the start of registration has started on 11 January 2016.

The event follows student protests in South Africa against university fees in October 2015, which called for free education for all.

At the University of South Africa, a stun grenade was reportedly fired at protesting students.

Students protested against the online registration system Photo: Shruti Dayal / Boar Photography

The university’s spokesperson Martin Ramotshela claimed that only a tear gas canister had been discharged, and nobody had been harmed.

The University of South Africa is not the only university where students protested, since Students at University of Johannesburg also requested that registration be carried out on site.

Student leader Lindokuhle ‎Xulu said it was not fair that students from townships with no internet access were being forced to register online.

Many students tried to register on campus, using the university’s computers, but they were not allowed to enter the campus.

At the University of the Witwatersrand, registration was postponed one day, due to similar protests.

USA: University apologises after asking students about their sex life

The University of Southern California has apologized for asking their students about their sexual histories in a mandatory questionnaire, and has removed the questions.

The University wanted to know students’ sexual histories Photo: Adam Tinworth / Flickr

The University administrators had been criticized for requiring students about their sexual histories in order to be allowed to register for classes, and was part of a training required by law.

The questionnaire included questions such as how many times students have had sex in the previous three months, with how many different people, and whether and how many times they have used a condom.

“USC apologises for any offense or discomfort caused by optional questions included as part of a mandatory online training for students on sexual consent, misconduct and other important issues,” Senior Vice President for Administration Todd Dickey told New York Daily News.

Japan: Students’ personal data leaked

The Hokkaido University in Sapporo has admitted that the personal data of more than 110,000 students might have been leaked.

Data contained on the affected server included the names, addresses, and birth dates of students, as well as information about companies that students would like to work for.

The server at the University may have been accessed without authorisation Photo: reynermedia / Flickr

The university believes a server at its career placement service centre has been accessed without authorisation.

The possible data leak was discovered after a large number of spam mails had been sent by the affected server.

It is unknown who is responsible for the possible data leak.

The university’s vice president Kazunori Yasuda apologized and said that “We will ensure proper management (of data) and prevent a recurrence”.