Image: Flickr/John Englart (Takver)

BREAKING: Controversial Israel-Palestine Question Time Event Cancelled

An event called Question Time: Israel and Palestine which was set to be hosted by Warwick International Relations Society on 19 January has been cancelled.

The cancellation comes amidst protests by academics at Warwick against one of three guests set to answer questions and debate on the topic of Israeli-Palestinian relations, which continue to create controversy on an international scale.

The guest, Yiftah Curiel, is the head spokesperson for the Israeli embassy in London.

The academics claim that “inviting Israeli officials to speak on campus ignores Palestinian calls for solidarity”.

It is unclear whether the protests have anything to do with the cancellation, however, which International Relations Society claim came as a result of one of the panelists dropping out.

It has not yet been confirmed whether the panelist in question was Curiel or one of the two others, Dr Claudia Prestel, a historian from the University of Leicester, who specializes in German-Jewish history, or John Lyndon from ‘OneVoice International’, a grass-roots organization hoping to implement a ‘two-state solution’ for Israel and Palestine.

The Boar has contacted International Relations Society for comment and confirmation of which panelist dropped out, but is still awaiting a response.

We’ll be updating you as more information is released.