Why you should choose to read at Christmas

[dropcap]I[/dropcap]t’s those few days after Christmas Day and you’re wondering how many more times you’ll have to endure Elf in your life as you scrabble around the barren box of Celebrations. You know Christmas has peaked when all that is left is empty wrappers and Bountys.

It’s time to do something to drown out the endless loop of ‘Let It Go’ that’s now stuck in your head. If you’re tired of watching films, you’ll be pleased to know it’s been proven that reading helps reduce stress. Treating anyone to a book is a great way to encourage relaxation. After the hustle and bustle of the festive season, everyone could use some down-time!

Treating anyone to a book is a great way to encourage relaxation

A book can also be a great way to pass the time, especially on long journeys. People tend to travel a lot during the Christmas period to visit family and friends, it would be an ideal gift.

Plus, the DVD is essentially dying out. Since everyone was bitten by the Netflix bug, DVD sales have declined rapidly – no one really wants them anymore.

Let’s not forget a book doesn’t necessarily have to be a novel. Your Grandad likes Terry Wogan? Get him his autobiography. Your cousin really liked the new Hunger Games film? He’d probably like the novels, too. Your Mum has a crush on Gino D’Acampo? How about one of his cookery books?

A book doesn’t necessarily have to be a novel

Taking the time to choose a book you think someone would like shows a lot more thought than grabbing some 2 for £10 DVDs from HMV, even if you’re sure your Nan will like The King’s Speech.

Perhaps you want to give someone a book for Christmas but you’re unsure of what they’d like. Great news! You can now buy gift cards for Kindle so the recipient is free to choose what they’d like. You just can’t really go wrong with a book for Christmas.

Image Credits: YO$HIMI / Flickr (Header)