An Open Letter to the UK and World Governments Urging Climate Change Action

Ahead of the Paris conference, various groups across campus including Warwick Labour, Fossil Free Warwick University, and Warwick For Free Education have decided to pen an open letter to representatives at the talks to demand bold action on climate change. Representatives from 196 countries will be meeting there to create a new agreement to reduce the rise in global temperatures from climate change to under two degrees. We believe that these talks represent one of the final chances for humanity to minimise the catastrophes created by anthropogenic climate change and we wanted to send a bold message to those making the decisions that will greatly affect our future. As we approach the mid-point of the talks, it is imperative that as much pressure as possible is put on our representatives to deliver real action. A letter is not enough to deliver this pressure but we hope it gets Warwick students talking and acting to demand real action from those who are currently deciding the fate of our planet.

A representative of Warwick Labour, which jointly organised the letter with Fossil Free Warwick University, Julia Pearson said:

“They will define climate action for the next generation. As students, we are the ones who will deal with the brunt of the impacts on the climate, and as such it is vital that we see a strong resolution at the end of the fortnight” – Julia Pearson, Warwick Labour

Fossil Free Warwick University

Fossil Free Warwick University

Open Letter:

Climate change is one of the biggest challenges our generation faces. Global temperatures have increased by nearly one degree since the Industrial Revolution, accompanied by the most rapid increase of CO2 in recorded history. Without urgent intervention starting now, by the end of the century global temperatures are predicted to undergo a degree rise of between three and six degrees. One degree of warming is already devastating the least responsible for emissions in the Global South. Three to six degrees would have cataclysmic impacts upon the globe.

One in six species are already under threat from human effects, including anthropogenic climate change, and without action we could see extinction on a mass scale akin to the ‘Great Dying’ 250 million years ago, which may have been caused by global warming and CO2 induced ocean acidification. In addition, an altering global climate, increasing frequency and severity of natural disasters, and dwindling resources would likely lead to a global refugee crisis many times worse than the dire situation we currently face. Furthermore, if the melting of the Greenland ice sheet – which is already underway – becomes irreversible, this would lead to a predicted seven metre rise in sea level and the flooding of many of the world’s major cities, including London.

The United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties 21 (COP21) is to be held in Paris from 30th November to 11th December this year. Representatives from 196 countries will aim to deliver a new climate change agreement that will keep the rise in global temperature under two degrees Celsius, which scientists think is necessary to avoid disastrous change.

Inaction at this conference would have a disastrous effect on us, the younger generations, and the generations succeeding us. As organisations, but more importantly as human beings, we are joining myriad voices to call upon both our government and others to take bold action at the Paris conference in the long-term international interest to avert potential disaster and secure a safer, more sustainable world for everyone.

Signed,

Warwick Labour and Cooperative Society

Fossil Free Warwick University

Warwick For Free Education

University of Warwick Students’ Union

Child.org Warwick

Warwick Animal Ethics Society

Medsin Warwick

RAWKUS

Warwick UNICEF on Campus

Warwick Greens