Christmas adverts are a powerful way of story telling

‘a magical sense of fulfilment and aspiration that should exist in Christmas’

While lounging about watching a Christmas classic or catching up on one of the dramas or series that consistently recur at this time of year, the one aspect that repeats itself is Christmas adverts. They interrupt our favourite parts of television but still manage to captivate our imagination and remain in our memory after the show in question has ended. Stories created in these short films produce a Christmassy feeling, play with our emotions and also manage to achieve their propaganda aims in publicizing their businesses’.

Traditional examples usually set the scene of the perfect family festive scene; the turkey on the table, children happily opening presents from Father Christmas, parents crazily(but joyfully) organising everything and a relaxed grandparent smiling on from a rocking chair in the corner. These encourage a desire for a customary holiday season that many viewers can relate to and usually aspire to replicate, but with a special hint of the potential that the certain producer brings with it. Less of a story telling aspect, such scenes usually inspire onlookers to purchase the products or foods displayed because of the picturesque visions fashioned.

tell us a story alluring in our emotive senses

Other generic supermarket Christmas adverts can involve a famous or influential figure walking round a store. They either compare the quality of different stores, concluding that the supermarket they’re in has the best quality or the most profitable deals. Alternatively, the cameras follow them round the store recording their remarks and opinions on the spectacular Christmas food/products available at said establishment. All these traditional images of Christmas create a positive outlook on this festive season with the preparation and production of a Christmas day that all viewers can relate to.

Varying types of Christmas adverts tell us a story alluring in our emotive senses to encourage a different form of festive feeling. Be it hope, forgiveness, charity, kindness or love, all these traditional (somewhat Christian) values can be reached through clever tales within adverts. John Lewis provides a fine example of an artistic way of storytelling that displays Christmas and promotes the business. This year’s Christmas advert ‘Man on the Moon’ depicts a young girl using her telescope to look up at the moon where she sees an elderly gentleman looking miserable and lonely. She checks on him continuously and attempts to contact him through adorable childhood actions that pull at the heart strings of the audience. Then an element of hope is created, enhanced by the beautiful music by Aurara as the elderly man receives a telescope as a present, which allows him and the little girl to see each other. Finishing with the line ‘Show someone they’re loved this Christmas’ this beautiful story creates a magical sense of fulfilment and aspiration that should exist in Christmas. Thus making it not only a universally relatable advert but also a successful promotion for John Lewis as one’s head is filled with special festive ideas that could be achieved via a visit to this establishment.

inspire a Christmas feeling of positivity

Adverts such as these play with our emotions by using unique artistic themes to tell us a story whether it’s through the meaningful stories being told, the striking camera angles, beautiful music or the picturesque scenes created. Many of these tales only have a small element of Christmas within them whether it be festive products or the wrapping paper on a telescope. But they inspire a Christmas feeling of positivity which is a theme that is apparent throughout adverts. Many may begin the story with some form of misery but the ending or overall message of these pieces is always a feeling of happiness in the end.