Image credit: Flickr/ Disney | ABC Television Group

Transgender privilege: Caitlyn Jenner’s take on womanhood

Sarah Kent contemplates Caitlyn Jenner’s shocking statement about being a woman

2015, for all its negative headlines, appears to have been a year of progress in at least one regard – we’re finally talking about the transgender community. This was helped in no small part by Caitlyn Jenner ‘coming out’ in April; Jenner has stimulated a dialogue about gender, identity and acceptance that was long over-due.

Sadly, it goes downhill from here. Thanks to her place in the Kardashian clan, Caitlyn has a powerful platform for advocacy, but instead, when questioned about the struggles women (transgender or otherwise) face, Jenner responded: “The hardest part about being a woman is figuring out what to wear”.

Figuring out what to wear?!

Personally, I would go with the fact that women in the UK are effectively working for free until the end of the year; or two women a week are killed by a current or former male partner; or that 1 in 3 women worldwide have experienced sexual violence; or that 133 million girls and women have experienced some form of Female Genital Mutilation. But, undeniably, matching my shoes to my handbag is a daily struggle too.

And herein lies the problem. Caitlyn identifies the moment she started living as a woman by her facial surgery in March. I don’t wish to dispute her gender identity, or the strain it has placed on her life. These are separate issues and I wholeheartedly support and celebrate her transition. But it is wrong to think that Jenner talks for women – for me – after six months of lived experience. Before March, chances are Caitlyn was never catcalled walking down the street. Her friends most likely did not ask her to text them when she got home safe after a night out.

She’s never had period pains; she’s never had the ‘luxury’ of spending £156 a year on sanitary products. She’s never been discriminated against, purely on gender, in the workplace.

Hell, Jenner has had a more privileged life than most men, let alone women, in the 21st century.

Her lack of lived experience and her privileged position, regardless of gender, is why she doesn’t represent me. Though we cannot disregard the repression of identity she has lived with, she still benefited from the security that comes from being a wealthy, white man – it’s no surprise that for her womanhood is “hair, makeup, clothes and all that stuff”. The womanhood you see, but not the womanhood you live.

She may not be less of a woman for it, she may understand aspects about the transgender community I don’t – but she doesn’t yet understand my world either.

She doesn’t speak for me when she portrays our world as one where the biggest worry for women is their looks.

The danger here is twofold. Firstly, from a position of great influence, Caitlyn Jenner risks trivializing women’s issues. Secondly, by not prioritising these problems, she allows those in positions of power to think we have done ‘enough’. We have not. While Caitlyn got a positive reaction, those with less money or support have an entirely different transition experience. The fact that 41% of transgender people attempt suicide should not only shock us, it should highlight that looking stylish really isn’t the biggest battle.

Maybe I have misunderstood her, or she has misrepresented her views. I truly hope this is the case. More than anybody, she should appreciate that being a woman is more than looking womanly. Caitlyn has an unparalleled opportunity to shine media attention on a host of issues associated with gender. She hasn’t got off to the best start.

• Sorry, I disagree with what you’re saying. I think that Caitlyn Jenner can believe whatever she wants is the “hardest part of being a woman”, because her opinion reflects her experiences of being a woman. Experiences as you have said exclude many things that other women have had to face.
    I think it is perfectly reasonable of her to give opinions about such things even if it doesn’t directly support women’s rights.

• Gabrielle Langmoore

Sarah, you are spot on. I am a Woman. I am also Transgender. Caitlyn is a poor representative for both. She is not living the experience of the everyday Woman. She is not living the all to common Trans experience. Her experience is that of a celebrity. Caitlyn has a lot of unpacking to do; Before She should speak on Women’s issues, or on Transgender issues. She is learning, and trying to. She should have waited until She was educated to try and be a public advocate. I think she will get better with time. A lot of unpacking is a very common part of early transition for MTF’s. Hopefully, She is willing to unpack. Only time will tell. Good write.