The Warwick Rowers’ 48-hour non-stop charity event

The University of Warwick Rowing Club completed their 48-hour row in aid of Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), otherwise known as Doctors Without Borders.

MSF is an independent humanitarian medical aid organisation who is committed to providing medical aid where it is most needed, regardless of race, religion, politics or gender.

According to their JustGiving page, they want to help the refugees in Europe, stating that: “We have come to a point where the European governments can’t handle this humanitarian crisis anymore.”

The rowers had to endure the cold weather and the rainPhoto: Lucas Lettelier

The rowers battled through the pouring rain between the 17th and 19th of November in order to gain the fundraising support of their peers.

So far, the rowing club has raised over £1,000 online but are hoping to raise over £2,000 in total with the money from the buckets. When asked about their fundraising target, a spokesperson said: “Anything over £2,000 would be incredible”.

This is the second time that the rowing club have participated in the 48-hour row, and have said that it will “definitely not be the last” as it can be a challenge for the club as a whole.

Lucas Lettelier, the club’s charities and events officer, rowed for over 30 hours. He also said: “People appreciate that we are putting a lot of effort in ourselves rather than just shaking a bucket”.

The rowers promise to do it again Photo: Lucas Lettelier

The rowing club told the Boar that battling through the rain was “quite an experience”. Lucas, who was rowing at around 3pm on Wednesday, said that the rain got progressively heavier – so much that so that “the Piazza resembled India during monsoon season!”

The rowers found themselves questioning their decision to take part, but the encouragement from fellow team members kept them going, and passers-by helped to motivate them.

The Piazza resembled India during monsoon season!”

Lucas Lettelier, Club’s charities and events officer

The rowing club commented that they are very pleased and grateful from the support that people have shown.

Warwick Snow donated their speakers for the occasion, RedBull also supported the event by donating free drinks while university staff brought coffee and food in the mornings.

You can donate to the 48-hour row Just Giving page here.