Image: Michelle Van Gerven / Flickr

Gil-more Girls gets revival

[dropcap]G[/dropcap]rab your coffees and throw those backwards baseball caps in the air; this is no hoax: the Gilmore girls are coming back for a revival season on Netflix.

At first, Lauren Graham (Lorelai Gilmore) tweeted on 19 October saying that she knew something, but could not confirm anything.

Finally, Milo Ventimiglia ( Jess Mariano) confirmed through his Facebook account on 30 October: “I’m always vocal about Amy Sherman-Palladino and Dan Palladino (the show’s creators): They’re two of my favourite people, two of my favourite writers ever, of all time. Just to be able to speak their words again, of course I would do it. So I told them, yeah, of course I’ll do it.”

Image: Jeffmason / Flickr

Image: Jeffmason / Flickr

Let me try to explain to you how huge this is. Gilmore Girls was one of the best family comedy-dramas of all time. It was incredibly witty, with fast-paced dialogues, tears, laughs, and that Gilmore-y warm feeling of belonging to a family and witnessing the growth of a unique mother-daughter relationship.

I have been watching Gilmore Girls since it first aired in 2000. In 2007, after the series finale, I was heartbroken. Surely this wasn’t the end of everything? No more coffee runs at Luke’s (Scott Patterson) diner, no more spicy quarrels at Emily’s (Kelly Bishop) table, no more of those wacky Stars Hollow people, no more Lorelai, no more Rory (Alexis Bledel)… it was the end.

I decided on that day that I would re-watch the whole series at least once a year, and from that day I have kept my promise. I’ve since made an incredible discovery that I am about to share with you: Gilmore Girls is the best show to grow up with.

If you have some time, and want to take a look at the show’s Wikipedia page, you will notice that the creators wrote most of the episodes. This is something fairly unusual even today.

The creators’ hearts and souls are in every single episode, but they were not allowed to fulfil their own ending because of a contract dispute with the WB back in 2006

Because of this, Amy Sherman-Palladino and Dan Palladino were thus not involved in the creation of the last season, and were not able to write their own ending. Instead of the four magical words that Amy Sherman-Palladino had prepared for us, we got a very all-over-the-place seventh season, which tried to give us some sense of closure but still failed at the end.

Alexis Bledel will be returning in the role of Rory Gilmore. Image: Gdcgraphics / Flickr

The stakes now are high: what we know is that the revival will take place at least eight or nine years after the series ended; it will be composed of four 90-minute episodes, taking place in each season of the year; and the filming is likely to happen in 2016.

According to TV Line, Lauren Graham, Kelly Bishop, and Scott Patterson are already in talks to sign contracts. The presence of Jared Padalecki (Dean Forester) and Melissa McCarthy (Sookie St. James) has not been confirmed yet because of their filming schedules. We also know Edward Herrman will not be rejoining the Gilmore family, since he tragically passed away on 31 December 2014. He used to play the authoritative but heartwarming patriarch, Richard Gilmore. I have the feeling that the creators will be able to do something truly incredible in his memory.

The first seven seasons are now available on American Netflix, but not yet on the UK one. And if you have never heard of Gilmore Girls before, now is the time to start binge-watching: you will not regret it. Once a Gilmore, always a Gilmore.