Photo: Charlie Hindhaugh

Free education demo attended by SU: ‘Tory Cu*ts’ poster held

Warwick Students’ Union’s elected sabbatical officers joined a delegation of Warwick students to join the national demonstration for free education, held in London on November 4.

In advance of the demonstration, the Student’s Union (SU) subsidised materials used to prepare placards and banners for the protest.

Slogans displayed on Warwick’s placards included “Tory Cu*ts”, “Eton Mess” and “Scrap trident, not grants”.

Other people at the demo also had banners Photo: Jonny Dickens / Flickr

As a charity, the SU is permitted to engage in political activity that supports its purpose as a charity, according to Charity Law.

Warwick SU lists in its policies that it stands for free education, which includes no tuition fees for any students, and living grants for all, paid by taxation based on income.

There’s also nothing ‘party political’ about “Eton Mess”. It’s a delicious dessert.”

Charlie Hindhaugh, Education Officer

However, sabbatical officers, employed by the SU, must ensure that any involvement they have with political parties in their capacity as SU officers is impartial if it does not relate directly to the SU’s purpose and listed goals. The officers are not legally allowed to give support or to oppose any politician or party when acting in their capacity as Warwick SU representatives.

Warwick SU delegation at the protest Photo: Charlie Hindhaugh

The NUS has issued advice on political campaigning and suggests that when paid sabbatical officers are involved, an SU must make sure that Sabbs don’t use paid hours to support a political party. The guidance also suggests that the property and resources of the SU should not be used in a way to support a political party.

SU education officer Charlie Hindhaugh told the Boar: “Transport and demo materials were partly subsidised by the SU – how individual members chose to use these materials was entirely a matter of choice as free participants.

“The funds came from the pre-existing Sabbatical Officers’ Campaigns budget, which is allocated for key events such as this.”

He added: “The students who attended the demonstration were from a wide variety of political views, representing many different political parties and persuasions.”

When asked whether the sabbatical officers were paid for the day they attended the free education demonstration, Mr Hindhaugh suggested that they were: “Sabbatical officers attended the National Demo as part of their regular duties as elected representatives from the SU, and because the measures being protested are of clear concern to our members.

Mr Hindhaugh did not respond when asked how many hours of the officers’ paid time was used to prepare for the demonstration.

The Boar also asked Mr Hindhaugh how the SU justified subsidising the making of placards with slogans like ‘Tory cu*nts’, ‘Eton Mess’ and ‘Scrap trident, not grants’, reminding the SU that they are bound by charity Law, and specific student union laws, not to support or oppose any political party or politician.

Mr Hindhaugh responded: “Everything we do is political, be that campaign for better pay for postgraduates, or march against the abolition of the maintenance grant.

“If someone wanted to come and write an “I heart Fees” placard at the session, they would have been more than welcome to.”

He added: “I’m not going to censor the anger students feel against the unacceptable policies of this government towards higher education. Those placards were made by individual members. They do not represent the view of the SU.”

Mr Hindhaugh finished by adding: “Oh, there’s also nothing ‘party political’ about “Eton Mess”. It’s a delicious dessert.”