Photo: Mike1024 \ Wikimedia Commons

Economics Question Time returns to Warwick

Warwick hosted its Economics Question Time last week, which saw an audience of mostly first-year economics students posing their questions to politicians, economists and university leaders.

The event took the same format as the BBC programme from which it takes its name.

This year’s panellists included UKIP’s only member of parliament Douglas Carswell; Joint Head of the UK Government Economic Service (GES) and author Vicky Pryce, and head of the department of Economics at the University, Abhinay Muthoo.

If you don’t stop creating problem, we’ll stop going to your country

Students chose to kick off the debate with a question about the wealthiest one percent of people on the planet: “Is capitalism still the best way for the modern economy?”

The discussion continued to cover whether it would benefit the UK economy to exit the European Union.

However, it was the question about the problem of refugees that proved most divisive. A student from Serbia commented: “If you don’t stop creating problem, we’ll stop going to your country.”

The event rounded off which a discussion of Labour’s recently-elected leader Jeremy Corbyn. One student ended the discussion with her comment: “I am really happy for Jeremy Corbyn”.

Following the debate, students told the Boar “It was definitely better session than the one from the previous year” – said the second year Economic student. “Less quarrelling and more concrete discussions” – she added. “Good panellists and great idea in itself to have such an event on our campus” – some first-year PPE students summarised.