Photo : Djinn76 / Flickr

Curiositea to launch Christmas tea parties

Curiositea will be hosting Christmas tea parties available to book next month.

Students will be able to book the tea parties, a first for the Students’ Union (SU) coffee shop, from 30 November until 17 December.

The tea parties offer a “Festive Feast Platter” for £8.00 per head, featuring an array of sandwiches with Christmas-themed flavours such as turkey, cranberry and stuffing.

These are accompanied by savoury snacks, sweets including mince pies and cookies, and traditional Christmas drinks such as mulled wine and gingerbread latte.

For those looking for a lighter option, a “Merry Mini Platter” is offered for £4.50 per head, and includes sweet and savoury snacks with a choice of drinks.

Curiositea team leader Kayleigh Watkins said that she came up with the idea after the manager wanted to introduce “something more exciting” to the coffee shop.

She commented: “It’s the first year we’ve done something like this, and I think it’s a nice idea to have something a bit different for students to do instead of just one big Christmas meal in halls.”

The idea of the tea parties were well-received by students visiting the coffee shop, several of whom said they would consider booking a tea party as a lighter alternative to a more traditional Christmas dinner.

However, many students elsewhere on campus were not aware of the tea parties.

One anonymous first-year student said “I haven’t seen it advertised anywhere in the SU or in their emails, but it sounds like a good way to celebrate with your friends at the end of term.”