Comment Corner – Careers Special: From dreaming of the big screen to sports production in Beijing

[dropcap]F[/dropcap]rom the day I saw Jurassic Park at the tender age of six, I have wanted to pursue a career in the film industry. At a similar age, my love for sport also blossomed. Whilst one felt more legitimate as a career path, the other became simply a hobby. People (myself included) often limit the thought of a career in Sport, especially in relation to television as journalism. I am a film student, I love my course and I had never considered the prospect of a career away from the big screen. I fancied myself as more of a Quentin Tarantino than a Gabby Logan.

By far the most significant lesson I came away with was the importance of passion and interest

However, this all changed when I stumbled across a life changing opportunity over the summer of 2015. I was lucky enough to be offered a one-month internship at Beijing TV Sport channel. It was a once in a life time opportunity and I was more than happy to be working at a TV channel that specialised in Sport. Growing up I was a huge Rugby fan, I’m also an avid follower of F1, Athletics, Golf, Tennis and more recently Football. (Crystal Palace is my team just in case any Eagles fans are reading).

12233458_10204946077081627_1637973264_n

The internship was a complete eye opener. I shadowed both live TV programs as well as the editorial team behind the scenes. Sport production provides an enormously diverse number of roles. From the cameraman to sound operator, from producers to on and off field directors. All of these people had a shared interest in sport. Unsurprisingly, by far the most significant lesson I came away with was the importance of passion and interest. I always thought I’d pursue a career in film but my summer in Beijing gave me an insight into what it was like to combine your hobby with your day job.

As with every career choice, it will require plenty of hard work and a little bit of luck, but the possibility of combining your interest with your job is very much real.

Upon returning to University, I met up with Sue Johnstone, the senior careers consultant here at Warwick. I explained my confusion and ultimately my desire for a complete career change. She was extremely supportive and gave me the appropriate guidance. In some cases, a masters in Sport Journalism is encouraged but this isn’t always necessary. There are many internships and work experiences available in the sector. Placements at the BBC, Radio Five Live, Channel 4 and BT are just some of the opportunities you can find online. The National Film and Television School offers a one year Sports Production Diploma course which I will definitely be looking into after graduation. It is surreal to think all those hours of refreshing the BBC Sport page to check football scores or spending the weekend watching the Grand Prix could contribute towards a concrete career. As with every career choice, it will require plenty of hard work and a little bit of luck, but the possibility of combining your interest with your job is very much real.

12248835_10204946076641616_2093896831_n