» Image: Flickr / Austrian Airlines

Come fly with me: careers abroad

The coolest travelling careers, outlined by Katie Greenbank… 

Civil Servant in the Diplomatic Service 

Focusing on international affairs, diplomats travel the world, protecting and promoting the interests of their country and its citizens as well as offering advice to government ministers at home to help them develop foreign policy.

International Aid Worker

A career as an international aid worker will allow you to make a difference to people’s lives while you travel. An interest in social work and a background in education, healthcare or agriculture is key to this job, as you will be helping local people and communities recover from natural disasters or conflicts.

English Teacher

What better way to see the world than by teaching your own language in a foreign country? There are vast numbers of people across the globe who want to learn English and a relevant qualification can take as little as a month to acquire.

Flight Attendant

This is probably the most obvious job in the travel industry. Although it requires you to be very flexible with your working hours, it will allow you to glimpse hundreds of cities across the globe.

Interpreter

If you are confident and fluent in another language, then this is certainly a career to consider. As an interpreter, you would be mainly working at international conferences, lectures and meetings, providing quick and accurate translation of discussions.

Archaeologist

Archaeologists frequently travel to remote locations across to globe to find, recover and preserve artefacts from ancient civilisations and cultures.

Retail Buyer

This is the perfect career choice for any budding fashionista with a wanderlust. Retail buyers attend trade shows and meetings throughout the country and sometimes even across the world to identify consumer trends and make decisions about product purchases.