Up and roaring: Women’s Rugby Union beat Lincoln in season opener

Warwick 17 – 10 Lincoln

Ali Jones watched Warwick make a solid start to the season against Lincoln.

Location – Cryfield Pitches

Star Performer – Gaelle Rolland – Some impressive pace got Warwick out of several tight spots, and her late try cemented their victory.

The beginning of November might seem a little late to have your first BUCS game, but with several members of the team never having played a full competitive rugby match before, this contest proved to be not only a belated season opener but also a steep learning curve. Thankfully, Warwick were able to overcome both early season rust and inexperience to get their Midlands 2B campaign off to the perfect start.

Repeated handling errors from Lincoln in the middle period of the first half allowed Warwick to apply further pressure, with the away side rarely making it out of their own half.

Lack of match experience aside, Warwick started quickly. They raced into a 7-0 lead with Annabelle Watson scoring early on and Katie Thomas converting. Repeated handling errors from Lincoln in the middle period of the first half allowed Warwick to apply further pressure, with the away side rarely making it out of their own half. Warwick eventually built on their dominance, good play from the backs led to a second try by Warwick’s number 12 Maria Lossada.

The first half wasn’t all plain sailing however. Warwick’s lack of competitive match experience filtered through at times. They seemed wary of overcommitting to breakdowns while in possession, but solid defence meant they were never well and truly under threat. The game headed into halftime with Warwick holding a deserved 12-0 advantage.

12190833_10153631410196224_267707442337758019_n

The focus over the half-time was on speed and aggression; two traits Warwick definitely exhibited at the opening of the second period. They started started strongly, keeping a Lincoln team that seemed to be panicking before the breakdown pinned back in their own half. Changes to Warwick’s forwards did lead to some problems at the scrum, but good discipline meant that issues here were kept to a minimum. A few breaks from Lincoln’s centres put Warwick on the back foot, but they were helped out by some excellent rucking for much of the second half. Eventually, the Warwick defence was finally unlocked by a 50-yard run by Lincoln’s winger touching down for a try in the corner, taking the score to 12-5.

In reply, Warwick made changes to their backline with immediate effect. Some great runs by Megan Richold and Aoife O’Byrne quickly put Lincoln on the back foot, but play was disrupted towards the end of the second half by a spate of injuries, The loss of captain Tiff Haggith, up until that point dangerous in both attack and defence, looked like it could have a particular impact, but Warwick responded well, with good attacking play across the width of the pitch leading to a try from Gaelle Rolland, whose excellent work in offence throughout the game finally paid off.

Going into the closing stages of the game, Warwick led 17-5, but Lincoln weren’t prepared to lie down and accept defeat.

Going into the closing stages of the game, Warwick led 17-5, but Lincoln weren’t prepared to lie down and accept defeat. Some aggressive and good ball movement led to an impressive break, but Warwick were able to win back the ball after a knock-on. Forced to play several phases in their own 22 for one of the first times in the game, Warwick did well to dig themselves out of trouble, with an excellent kick-chase gaining them possession further up the pitch in the dying moments. Some solid defence from Lincoln won them a penalty not far from Warwick’s line, which they quickly ran in for their second try, bringing the final score to 17-10, and thus setting up a nervy finish. Warwick would not be denied however and they held out fill the final whistle.

While not always the most fluid, attacking rugby, a good win against a decent Lincoln side is an excellent start to the season, especially given the number of players in the squad new to the competitive side of the sport.

Warwick Team Sheet

1 Milly Flanagan

2 Sarah Batty

3 Rebecca Hindle

4 Annie Rankin

5 Emily Bright

6 Zheru Ong

7 Annabelle Watson

8 Tiffany Haggith 16 Emma Davis

9 Christelle Tong

10 Katie Thomas

11 Nurul Mohamed Khir

12 Maria Lossada

13 Gaelle Rolland

14 Andrea Ortega Solis

15 Yuan Ming Tan

16 Emma Davis

17 Diane Musabi

18 Louise Cheetham

19 Megan Richold

20 Aoife O’Byrne

21 Michelle Watson

22 Marie Castanier

23 Thevuni Happawana