Casual Gamer Column – LISA: The Painful RPG

[dropcap]I[/dropcap]t’s not exactly surprising with Mad Max’s gasoline-hungry desert to compete with, but as the second instalment in a trilogy, it’s a real shame that LISA: The Painful RPG is as underappreciated as it is. The game focuses around your quest to find your kidnapped daughter in a world where there are no women left.

[divider]

LISA takes place in a world that’s been torn apart by an unknown catastrophe, in which all semblance of public order has melted away. The men left behind are idle, spending their time wrestling, killing for no reason, and numbing their pain with drink and a drug ironically named Joy. Their currency is based around dirty lad’s mags, which the player can use to pay for upgrades or new recruits. The strength of the title lies in its portrayal of mental health, or rather the lack of it. I haven’t seen any film, let alone game, utilise its visual medium to suit its narrative as well as Dingaling, the game’s creator, has. Everything in LISA has a purpose, be it a seemingly worthless inventory item, a rare cut-scene or a stray line of dialogue, and all work together to help you uncover the plot. Nothing is as it first seems, nothing is spelt out for you, and sometimes you’ll be left questioning your sanity as the game progresses. Are the choices you’re making right? Is there any actual morality in a world without civilisation? Do the ends justify the means? Will you sacrifice everything for your daughter?

Want to play Mad Max but hindered by your desire to not bankrupt yourself?

This game is one of the most compelling RPGs I’ve ever played, and this is coming from a person who usually avoids turn-based combat at all costs. LISA is an interesting example of a well-blended medium with a strong storyline in which you gradually learn the mechanics as you go, rather than having them stand in your way until the end of the game.

If you fancy a crazy ride through your emotions, convictions and outlook on life, check out LISA: The Painful RPG. Fair warning though, this ride is not for the feint-hearted!

[divider]

Like the sound of this? Read more @BoarGames

new_twitter_logo