Photo: Flickr/ mjtmail (tiggy)

News in Brief

Warwick’s University Challenge team beat Clare College Cambridge by a formidable 95 points on last week’s Episode of University challenge.

Team members Hugh Osborn, Emily Stevenson, Ashley Page, and James Leahy won the University a place in the second round of the competition with a score of 195, which host Jeremy Paxman described as ‘terrific’.

Second-year management student Rob Hurley said: ‘I’m very proud of the team – this should help boost Warwick’s status and has even made me consider applying next year!’

___

Warwick Economics Society hosted their third ‘Student’s Question Time’ on the 5th October 2015, with this year’s panel featuring UKIP’s only MP Douglas Carswell, Labour politician Hazel Blears and economist Vicky Pryce, as well as Warwick’s Vice-Chancellor Professor Sir Nigel Thrift and head of the Department of Economics Professor Abhinay Muthoo.

Second-year politics student Khadar Jama praised the diversity of opinion on this year’s panel, adding that ‘it presented us with some genuinely interesting debates’.

___

Following their victory in campaigning for the University to stop investing in coal, oil and gas companies three months ago, Fossil Free Warwick have announced a new campaign targeted at the University’s BP archive.

The campaigners want to remove the BP archive from Warwick library. They have issued a letter with an ultimatum to Warwick’s management and revealed banners and speeches during Warwick’s university-wide open day.

___

Tributes have poured in for James Murphy, the Warwick student who died while Kayaking in New Zealand. The 20 year old philosophy student, who had been studying at Monash University in Australia on a year out, died after falling into Lake Tekapo. James’ facebook wall was filled with messages of grievance from friends since the accident.