Photo: Flickr / Deborah Lee Soltesz

From first year to third year…

Feeling more than a little anxious about beginning uni? Here’s Chloe Kingscote’s 5 top tips to tackle those moving-in nerves…

Going to university after being safely secured in your college or sixth form bubble is undoubtedly daunting, particularly at Warwick. It can be even harder if you find yourself battling with social anxiety or awkwardness, but don’t fear – everyone is in a similar boat. Many potential students are fear stricken by rumours of racist swans and Disco Dave too, but campus can be a lot less scary if you know a few tricks of the trade for fighting that classic freshers’ anxiety:

Bring a door stop. I can’t vouch for all halls, but Sherbourne during freshers’ was equipped with the security of a military camp – so making friends, then actually getting people into your flat, let alone your room, was quite a task in itself. Keeping your door open as much as possible will make people more inclined to come in and chat – though don’t leave it open when you’re not in there or the likelihood of your friends wrapping everything in newspaper is very high. If you’re feeling classy pop to Cannon Park Wilko and get one, or if you’re already in your overdraft from trying to buy all your meals in Costa, DIY it student style and find an old piece of wood or some books you definitely “needed for your course” to prop it open.

If you don’t have some sort of leader board or quote board in your flat you’re not really a true university student. Creating one of these in freshers’ is always a talking point, and it’s something you can keep throughout your degree! My personal favourite in my freshers’ flat was the ‘middle class problems’ board, consisting of classics such as “May you pass me the Brie”, and a full explanation of what quinoa is. Get creative, and work with your flatmates to produce a true piece of art.

Go on a tie dye spree with new course friends and flat mates (this one might not be for the PPE students of the world). You will probably be drowning in a sea of freshers’ shirts in size XXL by your third day, and as delightful as they are, they may need a bit of an up cycle. Tie dying is super easy and cheap, and also gets you in with the resident tutors and cleaners – they really enjoyed the blue mark we left on the kitchen floor afterwards.

Do not ever suppress your love of the Great British Bakeoff. We all know Mary Berry holds a special place in your heart; you’re fooling no one (and international students who are not part of the Mary hype yet, you’re in for a treat!). Dedicate a night a week to watching and place bets on who you think will win. If you’re not so keen on your flat you can say that the person who picks the candidate that leaves that week has to cook for everyone the next day!

Cook team meals and make them part of a theme night – Mexican night is a personal favourite mainly because my flatmate can whip out her inflatable cactus (yes – it is a thing, and no it is not an innuendo) – although I’m not condoning drinking tequila and sangria in the same evening; you can all face that one at your own peril. As long as you don’t give anyone food poisoning or accidentally feed the vegetarian meat you’re always onto a winner when you’re cooking for students!

Whilst these may not all be the most sensible recommendations about how to get over social anxieties in freshers’ and make friends, these are unusual ways guaranteed to get you out there, and making friends. For those of you I’ve left hyperventilating in the corner, I do have one very sincere piece of advice; get as involved as you physically can in what the university has to offer. Joining university societies and clubs not only allows you to try something you’re either new at or passionate about, but also allows you to meet people that share a common interest with you. It completely opens the doors for new experiences appropriate to the way that you like to socialise, (most of them will never involve a chunder chart). If you’ve found that you’ve exhausted all these traditional options, then don’t hesitate to get yourself the inflatable cactus – the best way to battle social anxiety when you first come to uni is to not let it get the better of you and to jump into every opportunity you can; not only will it help you make the most out of your university experience, but probably leave you with friends for life!