Photo: Flickr / i.love.marimilk

Freshers’ and beyond: a non-drinker’s survival guide

So, you’re tee-total. Whether it’s for religious reasons, or just because shooting your fellow freshers with lasers is more your thing, Halimah Manan is here to tell you why university can still be the best experience of your life…

For those who don’t drink or go clubbing, coming to university and experiencing freshers’ week is something of a culture shock. Every night, there is bound to be a party somewhere; be it in your block, or the block next door, there will be people talking animatedly everywhere. Much, in all likelihood, to your annoyance, as it’ll be at three in the morning right outside your window while you try earnestly to sleep. As many relish their newfound freedom (and explore it with the help of alcohol) you might be wondering what there is for you during this week – but do not despair! While drinking may appear to be one of the main ways of socialising, it’s still possible to enjoy the week if it just doesn’t take your fancy. Ultimately, your Fresher’s week, and your entire degree, is what you make of it!

But how do you make the most of the week? In short: through societies. At Warwick, as I’m sure you know by now, the SU boasts over 250 societies. So, while the concern that university is predominantly a place for drinking, clubbing and partying (and, er, studying, apparently…) might still be playing at the back of your mind, there is sure to be plenty for everyone to be involved with – you just have to know where to look, or who to ask.

As a Muslim, my most obvious solution was to seek out the Islamic Society (or ISoc). Indeed, there are plenty of religious societies at Warwick which host alcohol-free events, even if its members aren’t necessarily tee-total. To give you an idea of what kind of events there will be, I spoke to a few members of various religious societies. All of HinduSoc, Christian Union and Islamic Society’s events are completely alcohol-free. These include ‘meet and greets’, Laser Quest and a movie night in with ISoc! To find out more about these societies and others, just visit the society listings on the SU website, find them on Facebook, or talk to them at the societies fair.

Photo: Flickr / Kaleb Fulgham

Photo: Flickr / Kaleb Fulgham

Of course, while many religious societies are active throughout the year and it’d do your bank account a favour, to only join those select few may seem rather limiting. (Not to mention that it might seem strange if you’re not religious.) When I came to Warwick last September, I was extremely eager to get involved in as much as I could. So, even though there were events I didn’t take part in, my attitude towards drinking did not pose a barrier to my overall participation. As I soon found out, many societies work hard to be inclusive with non-drinkers; there’s no reason for you to ever feel excluded from a society if you’re off the tipple, and you’ll never be forced to drink. Last year, I attended many a welcome meeting put on by societies – and while somewhat daunting, they really are the best way to gain access to new societies. This year, the Boar is planning a welcome meeting and our post-meeting social is to be in the Mighty Duck, a very neutral space. At most circling events, too, you can just stick to a glass of coke – though that isn’t exactly pleasant to down, either!

If you’re not interested in becoming a member of a society, but still fancy heading out for an evening, the Warwick Student Cinema puts on film showings every evening (except Wednesday!) with some of the latest hits; Mad Max: Fury Road and Avengers: Age of Ultron are two films out of an impressive line-up for the first week of term. Department events often mean free food, and go on throughout the year, and there are SU comedy nights and meals out in Xananas – keep an eye out on Facebook for those, too! – as well as the freshers’ fairs. These fairs are a great way to acquire freebies and talk to execs about what they’ve planned. Don’t worry, though! If you’re not too keen on asking about alcohol-free events in-person, grab a leaflet and email them: they’re sure to help.

Although these events may appear few and far between, you’ll soon find that there’s far too much to do during freshers’ and time passes incredibly quickly. Luckily for you, socials are put on all year. You can attend talks, debates, meals and more, not to mention activities outside of the university too; as tempting as it is, don’t stick to the campus bubble!

Finally, remember: as a member of the society, the socials are there for you! If you want a non-drinking social, all you have to do is ask.