Photo: common.wikimedia.org

Culture Shocks: Hitchhiking in the Philippines

[dropcap]T[/dropcap]hough the busy nature of South-East Asian cities usually attracts me, Manila, capital of the Philippines, was a step too far in the wrong direction.

It is not a city that is accustomed to tourists. For this reason, after 2 nights I needed to escape. I ventured to the bus station and asked where the next bus went – Donsol, 10 hours down South. “Sure, I’ll go there I guess” I responded and hopped on board solo, unaware of what would lie ahead. It turns out Donsol was dead that time of year as the busy throngs of tourists have ventured away as the whale sharks migrate. I arrive at a boat port to hop to the next island, only to find no females. A group of men stand in a circle, watch me and follow when I move. Of course, petrified by this and a language barrier existing, I begin to panic.

Much to my amazement, one comes over and begins talking broken English. He explains how I will get to the next island and offers me a place at his house. I politely decline and he sits next to me on the boat for support. He proceeds to show me photos of his family and tells me about his life – he is a 50 year old local who owns a few petrol stations on the deserted island. Eventually we arrive to Masbate City – again, my lack of preparation has left me baffled and with nowhere to stay, I take up the offer of his house. Climbing into a car with 3 large men, I pass a sign that cautions ‘beware of human trafficking’! Immediately I regret my decision and suppress fears that I was going to star unintentionally in ‘Taken 4’… ‘I will find you, and I will kill you’ – my ex-met police dad hunting down the enemy.

A group of men stand in a circle, watch me and follow when I move. Of course, petrified by this and a language barrier existing, I begin to panic.

However, I can safely say – it turns into the best adventure I have ever had. He ended up being such a pleasant man with the most welcoming family. His little children made me bracelets all evening and the following day he drove me 3 hours across the island to my next stop. We made a pit-stop at his father’s house where I rode a very old and tame bull and had practise attempting to lasso cows. Since the boats weren’t running the other end, he bought me a mattress and allowed me to stay in the room above his petrol station (kicking the employees to the other crowded room!), and ordered a boy to take me in the morning to the port once again – equipped with freshly baked bread and to the amazement of locals I whizzed past. Sometimes, the unplanned things end up being the most memorable… And boy I won’t forget that any time soon.