Photo: Wikimedia Commons/ "Poznań Pyrkon 2015 Game of Thrones The Throne" by Klapi - Own work. Licenced under CC BY-SA 4.0 via Wikimedia Commons

Warwick’s new ‘Game of Thrones’ society launched

Largely unnoticed during the panic of exam season, the Students’ Union approved the creation of a Game of Thrones Society at Warwick.

Third year Law students Tom Green and Andrew Wilkinson had been hoping that someone would start up a Game of Thrones Society on campus that they could join before graduating. Eventually they took matters into their own hands.

They quickly recruited the rest of their Executive Committee and collected 32 signatures over the next few days to become an official society on the SU website by 8th May.

In the first week of creation their Facebook page amassed 60 likes and now, just before the start of term, likes sit at 111.

As President of the society Tom sports the lofty title of ‘King of the Andals and the First Men,’ with the Vice President Andrew naturally being called the ‘Hand of the King’.

For the remainder of the last academic year, membership was free as there was limited time left to organise and hold events, but the Small Council did hold a round of pub golf, lead their members on a merry circle and hold a society meal during June.

The society has kept their Facebook page active throughout the summer and has their own YouTube channel where they have posted a video about their plans for the coming year.

The executive committee have a series of events planned, including Game of Thrones themed circles, bar crawls, quizzes and season marathons of the show.  

They are also intending to see Hodor DJ at the Rave of Thrones during Freshers Fortnight and be circling in Westeros attire for week three’s POP!.

All competitive events the society holds will form part of the contest between Houses Stark, Lannister, Baratheon and Targaryen. 

Commenting on the development of the society, Tom said: ‘One day walking home from a lecture we thought, well if no one has already made one, then why not us?’.  

Tom predicts a Baratheon victory in the society, but in terms of the series he said: ‘It’s anyone’s game. I personally think Daenerys Targaryen is in with a good chance if she can ever get back to Westeros.’