Photo: Flickr / Tom Øverlie, NRK P3

Dâm-Funk – ‘Invite the Light’

invite the lightDâm-Funk sprung onto the scene in 2009 with the five LP vinyl box-set, Toeachizown (yes, that’s right…!). Shortly after the eclectic LA label Stones Throw Records discovered Dâm-Funk, they decided to introduce him to the world in this unorthodox fashion. The plan was to create the illusion that Dâm-Funk was a funk legend, worthy of such an honour. Consequently, he went from driving trucks, to living out his life-long dreams; producing albums for both Snoop Dog (7 Days of Funk), and Steve Arrington (Higher). Funk is now back with his second official solo LP, Invite the Light:  an epic experience, which truly illuminates the importance of letting Funk into our lives. His legend status is no longer merely the result of clever marketing; it’s well deserved!

Invite the Light takes place in a dystopian future, where humans are battling extinction due to the eradication of funk music. Junie Morrison (A.K.A. Walter Morrison of the Ohio Players) sends out an emergency broadcast informing survivors of the only remedy: funk music, which has the power to invite the light back into our lives. Funk has the power to initiate a new phase in human evolution! Dâm-Funk hence begins Invite the Light with the revolution’s anthem, ‘We Continue’.

Invite the Light takes place in a dystopian future, where humans are battling extinction due to the eradication of funk music

The lyrics can sometimes feel like they are written as a soundtrack to Dâm-Funk’s motivational-poster-plastered Instagram feed. However, the positive spirit feels in no way trite, due to the conviction of the delivery of his message, and the quality of the funky instrumentals. The importance of perseverance and hope is emphasised in his lyrics, as is the struggle to ‘make it’ as an artist, and in life in general. That his message is spread through funk music, ties in perfectly with the album’s concept, and the mission statement of Junie’s revolution.

Nevertheless, the concept is generally kept quiet loose. While the lyrical themes of the first and last thirds of the album ties perfectly into it, the lyrical content of the middle part is more varied.  Cohesion is kept by Junie’s two emergency transmissions, and occasional skits. These tracks create a nice frame to Invite the Light; their humour reminiscent of Parliament’s classic releases. Dâm-Funk still manages to achieve this sense of cohesion, while keeping the concept from ever feeling contrived or overbearing.

Flea’s (Red Hot Chili Peppers) magical bass solo, which lifts us to the heavens as a hot-air balloon would, on  ‘Floating on Air’

There are some stellar instrumental performances on this project. Two especially noteworthy examples are:  Flea‘s (Red Hot Chili Peppers) magical bass solo, which lifts us to the heavens as a hot-air balloon would, on ‘Floating on Air’, and the murky bass line which takes us right back down into a dark and sweaty nightclub on the following track ‘HowUGonnaFuckAroundAndChooseABusta?’. That is, not to mention the diabolical synth lead on ‘The Hunt & Murder of Lucifer’. There is a slight lull around the Ariel Pink featured track ‘Acting’, and the close to nine-minute funk odyssey, ‘O.B.E’. The latter, albeit of high quality, has the listener thirsting for a change of pace. A wish that is immediately granted, when ‘O.B.E.’ transitions into the smooth club love song ‘Glyde 2Nyte’. Nevertheless, the imperious nature of the instrumentals, in variation and quality, makes the near 90-minute run time both justified and a hugely enjoyable experience.

Equally impressive is the use of vocals on this project. Dâm-Funk sings, raps and even scats, taking on each style with ease. A fourth dimension to the vocals is added by his whispering voice; appearing to bridge gaps, and relay the mission statement of the revolution. He is in no way attempting to hide his talents on Invite the Light! This record shines brightest when it wanders into the borderlands of funk and hip-hop: G-Funk. Three of its stand out tracks fall into this genre. The first, ‘I’m Just Tryna Survive (In The Big City)’, features Q-Tip with a verse reminiscent, in both quality and style, of his A Tribe Called Quest days. The G-Funk Tour de Force continues on ‘HowUGonnaFuckAroundAndChooseABusta?’, which features Dâm-Funk rapping in a whispering Snoop Dog-flow. Snoop himself joins in on ‘Just Ease Your Mind of All Negativity’, where Dâm-Funk’s production is once again a shoe-in-fit for the top dog of rap.

This record shines brightest when it wanders into the borderlands of funk and hip-hop: G-Funk

Invite the Light is an impressive follow-up by Dâm-Funk. It stays true to the funk genre, while experimenting with elements of hip-hop and G-Funk. From the fantastic instrumental and vocal performances to the stellar features and humour, this project is nothing short of perfect.