One tonne Hermann bombs used in WWII. Photo: Wikimedia Commons from the Library of Congress

Coventry Freshers evacuated after live WWII bomb found near halls

Freshers’ week at Coventry University got off to an explosive start after a live World War Two bomb was found near accommodation on Monday 21 September.

Students were evacuated from their new accommodation and local residents and workers at nearby organisations, such as the Warwickshire and Coventry Chamber of Commerce, were also forced to leave.

Police cordoned off many streets around the Coventry University Technology Park area whilst the situation was dealt with.

Controlled explosion

Army bomb disposal experts were called in to help safely detonate the bomb after it was discovered by construction workers on a building site nearby. The building site was the location of a munitions factory during the war, which is thought to have been the target of the bomb, dropped by the Luftwaffe during an air raid on the factory more than 70 years ago, according to the Coventry Telegraph.

Coventry University said in a statement: “A number of our students who live in nearby halls were evacuated to safety. We are providing any necessary assistance to those affected.

“The situation is being handled by the emergency services and we are monitoring developments closely. The University has rehearsed procedures in place for instances such as these to ensure the safety of our students and staff.”

Many of the students forced to move from their accommodation had arrived only days before for Freshers’ Week. They were offered alternate accommodation, though some students stayed in the Hub – a social space that houses the Coventry University Students’ Union (SU).

The students could not return to their rooms to take anything with them, so just had what was in their pockets.

Jazzy Small, a first-year Theatre and Professional Practice student said: “It would have been okay if I had some money, ID, or even my coat but all I had with me was my phone!

“The SU made us as comfortable as they could; they provided blankets, blow-up pillows, a hygiene kit and free food, which was nice.”

28-hour operation

Luke Stanmore, a first-year Electrical Engineering student, told the Boar: “It was a long couple of days of disruption after just about settling down from moving in.”

Luke continued that students were under the impression the situation would be sorted in an hour or two. The bomb in fact took 28 hours to be safely disposed of by a specialist team.

According to the Coventry Telegraph, the bomb was identified as a Hermann bomb, weighing approximately one tonne – this type of explosive was allegedly so large and heavy that German aircraft were only able to carry 2 at a time.

The students are now safely back in their accommodation, and back to enjoying Freshers’ Week to the fullest once again.