Can you cure a hangover?

A team of international researchers from the Netherlands and Canada asked over 800 students about their drinking habits to find out if cures or immunity exist for hangovers.

When alcohol concentration in your blood falls quickly, you can get really tired, thirsty and have headaches or nausea in the most common of hangovers.

To test research that suggested 25% of drinkers don’t get hangovers at all, the team asked almost 800 Canadian students to describe their drinking habits and hangovers for the previous month.

About 8 shots will land you a hangover the next day Photo: Jesse 757 / Flickr

It turned out that those who claimed not to get hangovers had just never drank enough to feel the effects the next morning.

Of those who drank heavily, considered as having an alcohol concentration of over 0.2% in their blood, almost all suffered from hangovers the next day.

No ‘cure’

Over half the students surveyed ate food after drinking to reduce the effects of a hangover. More than two thirds drank water either during or after drinking alcohol to save them from the morning after.

Two thirds of students drink water to try and stop hangovers Photo: Antoine K / Flickr

The research, presented at the European College of Neuropsychopharmacology conference, suggests that neither of these measures significantly reduced a hangover.

Water or that cheeky viallis won’t stop your hangover, sorry guys Photo: Russell Davies / Flickr

Lead author, Dr Joris Verster of Utrecht University, commented: “Drinking water may help against thirst and a dry mouth, but it will not take away the misery, the headache and the nausea.”

Third-year Ancient History student Connor O’Shea told the Boar: “The only cure I know is being a slob and feeling sorry for yourself.”

Might be best just to feel sorry for yourself and stay in bed Photo: Alice Harold / Flickr

He continued: “It seems to work for everyone in my flat, and there are 10 of us! I think that’s conclusive.”

Causes unknown

Verster added that part of the problem was that scientists are still not sure what exactly causes a hangover after heavy drinking.

“It’s not simply dehydration – we know the immune system is involved, but before we know what causes it, it’s very unlikely we’ll find an effective cure.”

How do you nurse your post POP! hangovers? Let the Boar know on Twitter @BoarNews