Photo: Flickr/Elliott Brown

Student houses to be built on campus

A project for new student houses to be built on campus has been set in the university’s timeline for 2018.

The new Cryfield Village will offer 13 buildings of 664 student bedrooms with a central village hall and residential life accommodation.

It is anticipated that the residences will provide townhouse style living for mature, graduate and final year students looking to live on campus.

The project is being funded by the University of Warwick after requests from Warwick Accommodation.

The precise start and finish dates, as well as the budget, are yet to be confirmed.

Warden and tutor accommodation is also to be distributed across the site in order to encourage student mixing and sociability between the village and other residences.

This should provide an alternative type of campus living for students whose current options are halls of residence such as Lakeside and Tocil, or housing in Coventry and Leamington Spa.

Each house, unique in its own way, is set to have a personalised identity and individual front door and path.

With houses ranging from four bedrooms to 12 bedrooms, it is hoped that the new residences will provide the opportunity for existing friendship groups to live together on campus.

Second-year student Jack Williams told the Boar: “After living with roadworks around the Students’ Union this year my main concern is the disruption this will cause to campus.

“There are so many roadworks continuing at once around the campus, more disruptions are cause for concern.

“Personally, I’d prefer to live off campus to experience life outside of the campus bubble as it seems more independent to me so I wouldn’t want to live there but I guess I can see the attraction of living in houses instead of halls for those who choose to live on campus.

“However I’d like the money to be spent elsewhere.”