After 17 years in the job, "Slippery Sepp" finally resigns as President of Fifa >> Image: Wikimedia Commons

The rise and fall of Sepp Blatter: from untouchable to expendable

The real question is why? After countless scandals, suspicion and secrecy, why has the infamous Joseph “Sepp” Blatter decided to draw the curtain on his FIFA presidency?

Could it be because of the alleged corruption surrounding various nations 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids, and the frightening total of Qatari workers who have been allegedly killed in the construction of the various stadia? Or was it the fact that half of his senior team were arrested in a Swiss five-star hotel the day before his re-election this week, including the disgraced Jack Warner, a former FIFA vice president? It would be easy to think so, but the answer is no. It is actually much more sinister than that.

The world of international football is no stranger to corruption. The FBI’s operation into the various levels of indiscriminate behaviour within football’s largest governing body stretches back to 1991, well before Blatter was in control. As one of the most popular sports across the world, especially within Europe and South America, there has always been money there to be made. However, the surprising thing is that this particular fact has never really been a secret. Even though FIFA has been about as crooked as Ronaldinho’s teeth for as long as I can remember, no one has really had the balls to do anything about it. It is an ingrained mentality: you give a little, and Papa Joseph gives a little back.

Amidst the various backhand deals and dirty deeds, Blatter has stayed calm. He was the Untouchable One.

I mean, just ask Cristiano Ronaldo’s ex-girlfriend, Irina Shayk, who has surprisingly been rumoured to have been the former President’s lover. I imagine she didn’t get as much out of it as he did. Nevertheless, during the “golden” years of FIFA (for the executive board of course), revenue soared and audiences for the major tournaments continued to rise in some of the most remote parts of the world. Soon, the names of McDonalds and Coca Cola – ironically two of world’s most unhealthy and unethical brands – were plastered over World Cup merchandise and kits, hoping to encourage a generation of young people to buy into them. And that is why Sepp was untouchable for so long.

Amidst the various backhand deals and dirty deeds, Blatter has stayed calm. He was the Untouchable One. Despite the fact that his entire career has been blighted by misdemeanours, from rigged elections to that referee in 2006, his impact on the beautiful game has been astonishing during his incumbency. The reason that he has lasted so long, in my opinion, is because he has been useful. The suave, if abrupt, PR man has been pivotal to the success of dodgy agents and the mafia alike. Is it any wonder that the bookies have reaped billions of pounds from the industry? In short, FIFA has been an exclusive pool party of wealth and Sepp has been donning the whistle and life-jacket in case someone is about to drown. He has also enjoyed his share of the spoils, handling the negative press and silencing the critics when he needs to. But the party is over.

Be under no illusion, he hasn’t resigned because of the corruption, but because he has fulfilled his purpose and now outlived his use

However, once the Untouchable One, Blatter has now become toxic. Too many scandals, too much greed and too many questions are now to be asked of Blatter. He is too dangerous to continue enjoying the under-the-table support of the string pullers who have kept him in the job for years. The public facing president has now no face to turn to. Be under no illusion, he hasn’t resigned because of the corruption, but because he has fulfilled his purpose and now outlived his use, past his sell by date if you like. Now the “hypocritical sponsors”, as Andy Hamilton put it on Have I Got News For You this week, show that Blatter is damaging for the brand.

It is important to remember that Sepp Blatter is not an impassioned  former footballer, but a cerebral businessman. He is not resigning because the world of football has fallen into disrepute. This requires a conscience. He just can’t make the money or garner the influence that he once could. His resignation will no sooner fix the problems in FIFA, than it will save Qatari workers from dying or Russian homosexuals from persecution, it will just buy him time to figure out his next move (like, avoiding prison).

However, once the Untouchable One, Blatter has now become toxic. Too many scandals, too much greed and too many questions are now to be asked of Blatter. He is too dangerous to continue enjoying the under-the-table support of the string pullers who have kept him in the job for years

I would like to be optimistic and believe that FIFA as an organisation will clean up its act with a new management team. Yet historically, football doesn’t really work like that. Blatter’s era has created too many fingers and not enough pie to go around. Everyone is going to want more, but this time they will be cleverer. The next head of FIFA will be the new lifeguard, and I guarantee he won’t be closing the pool any time soon.