Photo: Flickr / Tiago Vidal Dutra

Summer special: finding confidence in your bikini body

Auksė Meškinytė tells us how to take pride in our bodies and make the best out of the great British summertime…

Every body is a bikini body. To have one, you just need to put a bikini on.

But as simple as it sounds, a bikini body is still a goal for many, rather than a reality. After years and years of countless tips, tricks and diets in the media for gaining that body, no wonder that bikini body somehow equates to a body that you can bare. Ads for ‘Protein World’ in London underground stations featured a model with incredibly small measurements and asked whether you are beach body ready, sparking anger. Many women are feeling tired of being constantly convinced that they are flawed, and need yet another product to be able to show their “imperfect” bodies to the public. Let’s be honest – almost all of us would want to change s omet hing in ourselves; a bit more here or less there. It is normal, but the ultimate g o a l should be health and confidence, not a certain type of body. Only last summer I finally bought my first bikini and happily enjoyed summer holidays. I learned not to let the notion that there is still a room for improvement prevent me from enjoying myself. I came to realise that getting a bikini is the easy part; it is gaining extra confidence that is trickier. Here are a few simple ways to give yourself a little more of it.

Remember that you have a right! A right to enjoy sun, swimming, summer breeze and feel great. There is no rule who can wear what or that summer fun is just for certain shape and size of people. Our insecurities make a lot of money for some, and bring zero fun to us. Let’s turn it around!

Be healthy. That doesn’t mean skinny, or some ideal we can see in advertisements. Actually healthy. Eating healthy and nourishing food, drinking lots of water and being active and NOT torturing yourself will make you feel so much better all-year round. It gives your body strength and that beautiful natural glow to your skin that cosmetics can only hint at.

Invest in nice swimwear. It is, in fact, an investment, as it pays back in better self-confidence and more happy moments. Take time to look both online and in stores for that perfect piece. It doesn’t have to be a tiny bikini – it’s ok to start with something a bit more covering. There are tricks, for example, a bottom with a bit of a higher waist and a pretty bra can shape everything beautifully. Details, such as ruffles, will draw attention, whereas simple colours won’t. Horizontal stripes optically widen, vertical don’t. Don’t wear anything that you don’t feel comfortable in, even if it’s trendy. In fact, trends in swimwear don’t exist, no matter what marketing teams behind brands are telling us. A nice, good quality piece of swimwear will last you many seasons, and with a nice pair of shades it’s not difficult to imagine that you’re an A-list star on the beach in Bali.

For once, pamper yourself. Scrub, moisturise, manicure, pedicure, face mask, etc. Any of those, or maybe all. Your body doesn’t need to change; it needs a bit more care and love!

Fake it. Fake your confidence. Strut around the beach or pool like you own it, well, actually, OWN it. Even if you feel you would rather hide in the sand, do it once, do it twice, and eventually you won’t have to pretend.

Be honest. Maybe you are genuinely unhappy with the way you look and don’t think what you lack is confidence. Perhaps there are some health issues and you feel that you have to take action. Do it. But don’t forbid yourself from having fun before you achieve what you want. I did this mistake and wasted so many opportunities to actually enjoy myself because I felt like I have to look in a certain way. It is work in progress, it doesn’t happen overnight. Be proud that you’re making an improvement, and in the meantime it’s great to have a nice tan.

Remember that everyone is obsessed with themselves. You may think someone is staring, but in reality everyone is too busy thinking the same. Even if they do, just give that look that says “deal with it” and walk away with your perfect bikini, sunglasses and attitude.