Photo: Renata Angelo/ Flickr

Warwick RAG treads dangerously

Warwick Raising and Giving (RAG) is giving students the opportunity to walk across burning coals to raise money for a charity of their choice.

The event, which is set to take place on 16 June in the piazza, has been opened to any current student wishing to take on the challenge. No prior fire walking abilities are required for participants as there is a workshop on the morning of the event, however RAG has said: “they [the participants] take part in the event at their own risk”.

80 Tickets priced at £20 are close to being sold out after going on sale on 22 April.

There is no expectation of the participants to raise a certain amount of money. Andy King, president of RAG this academic year, came up with the idea and has been the predominant organiser of the firewalk.

Andy has, in part, put the event together to help RAG members who are already fundraising for specific charities and with specific targets. For example some are raising money towards a £3,000 goal for climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, also organised by RAG.

He told the Boar: “It’s very much a bucket-list item and an every little helps scenario. The hope is that some people will take it really seriously and raise a few hundred, whereas others might just create a justgiving page and get a few quid for braving the experience.”

However, Andy emphasised that the event is by no means restricted to RAG members and that “the idea was to give everyone one last chance to fundraise on campus before they leave, in a way they never would’ve expected.”

As well as organising the event, Andy is taking part along with many executive committee members. He said: “It’s something I’ve always wanted to do … I’m confident I’ll keep my cool, I’m just worried what my mum will say when she finds out!”