Photos: First Minister of Scotland and Duncan C / Flickr

Sturgeon’s taking the biscuit

A Warwick student has asked Nicola Sturgeon, First Minister of Scotland and leader of the Scottish National Party (SNP), what type of biscuit she would be.

Ms Sturgeon said that she would be a Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer.

Second-year history student Emmett Saigal posed the question to the party leader on Facebook during her online First Minister’s Questions (FMQ) 9 April.

The SNP were contacted for a statement regarding Mr Saigal’s comment, in response to which they asked the Boar if they had tried Tunnock’s Caramel Wafers.

However, there have been concerns regarding the questions that Ms Sturgeon chose to answer, with Facebook user Derek Heslop commenting online: “Thanks for ignoring all of my relevant questions yet taking time to answer what kind of biscuit you want to be.”

According to one of Ms Sturgeon’s comments on Facebook, the first minister received 1,695 questions during this session.

When asked about his question, Mr Saigal said: “I’m personally worried about the prospect of a very powerful woman playing an important role in the government of a country she wished to see broken up.

“A lot of people were asking Nicola questions about policy to which she was firing off the usual, scripted and empty rhetoric. I thought it would be more apt to see what type of biscuits Ms Sturgeon preferred.”

When asked if the response that he received was to be expected, he added: “Well it’s a Scottish biscuit so that was to be expected.

“I would have liked Nicola to explain what characteristics she shared with the wafer apart from being mainly full of air.”