News in Brief

The budget for societies has risen to £65,000 from £40,000, it was announced at the Societies Convention on Tuesday 21 April. A total of £180,000 was collectively applied for by societies last year. Rob Hurley, one of the Matchday Society’s exec members agreed that the increase was a good idea: “I think it will massively benefit the smaller societies who have to pay out of their own pocket.”

Students took part in a campaign run by Warwick Sport last week to get more women involved in sports. The campaign, named ‘This Girl Can’, ran from 20 to 26 April with special themed activities and female instructors, along with normal clubs and training. Warwick’s involvement is part of a nationwide media campaign funded by the National Lottery and Sport England.

Warwick’s final report on the future of protest has been released by the University’s Centre for Human Rights in Practice. The report suggests certain steps be taken, including: the improvement of dialogue and communication between University management and the student body, including termly open meetings with vice-chancellor Sir Nigel Thrift; a full report into the incidents involving protestors on December 3 2014 and a consultation on the Code of Conduct on protest at the University.

Cryfield is set to become the cheapest accommodation per annum out of all Russell Group universities next year. It will now cost £83 for 30 weeks (£2,490 per year) after meetings between the Student Rents Committee and SU representatives. The decision represents a change of plans by the University, which was originally set to increase the yearly rent by a controversial 13 percent, due to an extension of the rental period to 34 weeks.

The 2015 Regency Run race in Leamington was won by an ex-Warwick student. Ben Jones beat over 2,000 other runners to the finish line in the annual race. The run, which had British Blind Sport as its official charity, was organised by the Leamington and District Round Table.