www.youtube.com/ Tube News

ISIS: raging war on its people and their culture

[dropcap]A[/dropcap]s war rages on in Syria and Iraq, the cost to the region is growing ever-higher. Alongside the lives lost, we’re seeing a cultural assault on one of the richest and oldest parts of the world. The historical richness of areas like Syria and Iraq can’t be underestimated – it contains some of the only remaining examples of ancient Mesopotamian culture.

While this is banned under UNESCO’s Convention against Illicit Trafficking of Cultural Property, it’s safe to say that ISIL aren’t worried about what the international cultural community has to say.

After all, they see preservation of other cultures as a form of worship and therefore against their interpretation of Islam.

The irony in all of this is that instead of destroying everything, there have been reports of illegally trafficked artefacts from the region being sold. According to sources, archaeological sites caught in the conflict are being systematically mined for relics, which are then sold on.

So ISIL doesn’t like people coming to see the artefacts but is happy to use them for profit? Ideologically, this doesn’t sit right. Even if ISIL were successful in creating a new state, the tourism revenue generated by such a rich history could be a boon. But if everything leaves these countries and ends up in Europe, then it means the only losers are normal Iraqi and Syrian citizens, prevented from understanding the incredibly diverse cultural mosaic that makes the region so fascinating.

After a history of poorly thought out intervention in the region, international authorities are being extremely careful. As ISIL’s destruction worsens, the voices are growing ever stronger. In the wake of Nimrud’s destruction, UNESCO has begun calling this sort of devastation a war crime, and is invoking several conventions in order to prosecute those who are responsible. They’ve even released a statement with the UN, calling on all parties involved to stop the destruction of cultural sites in Syria, as well as the illegal trafficking of said sites.

They’ve also started the ‘Unite4Heritage’ campaign, which aims to use culture as a tool for reconciliation in armed conflict whilst protecting sites caught up in it. Launched in Baghdad this year, the focus is on Arab countries affected by recent waves of violence and extremism. Notable in Syria and Iraq are the campaigns to save Mesopotamia, Baghdad Museum and the Shedu (Assyrian protective deities who typically adorned palace entrances.) Alongside this, the campaign is attempting to work with world leaders to preserve the relics.

But does this campaign actually amount to anything of tangible value or is it nothing more than wishful thinking?

It may seem like nothing more than a group of people simply posturing, there are real results. In particular, the French government is working with UNESCO to try and preserve Mesopotamian culture, as well as providing Iraqi and Syrian authorities with invaluable French archives. Ordinary Syrian citizens are also working with UNESCO to recover cultural items and help transport them to museums. But the battle here is largely uphill.

Whilst the Unite4Heritage campaign has got off to a great start, but it needs to become more than a simple way for people to express outrage online and share how much they love world culture. As ISIL continue to lose ground, they’ll only get more desperate and are likely to resort to more despicable cultural crimes.

What we need is a decisive action if we are to protect any sites that remain under ISIL’s control. I’m not advocating armed intervention, but we do need more than a hashtag. Until the regions are stable again, we can’t claim that the area and World Heritage sites are safe. And until they’re safe, we live in constant fear that some of the most valuable sites in the world will be irretrievably lost.