photo: malias / Flickr

General Election: We didn’t even see it coming

[dropcap]W[/dropcap]e have been working on this Election campaign for over two months now. I made the decision very early on that we were going to stay neutral, in order to preserve our integrity as a student newspaper, and adequately reflect the views of as many students as we possibly could. However, with the recent controversy with our SU President, Cat Turhan, there has been the fear that individuals in positions of responsibility at this university should refrain from giving opinions on such issues, regardless of their personal motivations.

However, I disagree. The Boar’s editorial and business team took the decision this morning to write a post that breaks our neutrality on this issue for the first time. And we put it together as a team, deciding that we have a responsibility to reflect student opinion and this time, our own. Before the election, I wrote a letter to all of you reflecting on the reasons why politicians don’t want you to be a part of this election. Despite this, when I walked around the SU atrium yesterday night, having just found out about the exit poll result, it was clear  that many had come to the conclusion that their first ever vote had in fact been wasted. It is no secret that there has been a polarization between the left and right side of politics on campus this year, and one side have definitely been more vocal than the other. You can make your own minds up as to who they are. And yet, it was the “silent majority” that were singing the national anthem whilst waving the blue flag on election night. The real fear for me, more than the disturbance of the traditional political landscape, was the fact that we didn’t see it coming. Not a single intellectual or pollster could predict what the mood of the country was, having spent at least 12 months picking through it all with a microscope and toothcomb. It was terrifying.

The real fear for me, more than the disturbance of the traditional political landscape, was the fact that we didn’t see it coming.

UKIP were the third largest party on votes, with nearly 13% of the popular vote, showing a sentiment that cannot be ignored.

photo: chathamhouse / Flickr

photo: chathamhouse / Flickr

The country has moved significantly towards the right, and yet the major media outlets were writing Nigel Farage’s obituary before the vote for Thanet South was even cast. Mirage Farage may have lost his seat, but he was absolutely right – the voting system just doesn’t work. First Past The Post (FPTP) that we voted for in 2011 (to keep parties like UKIP out) has ironically fractured the system in 24 hours, giving the Conservatives a chance to lead a government without any experienced or significant opposition. The Liberal Democrats, who have been effective third party opposition for years, have seen their best and brightest minds walk the Parliamentary plank. The Labour leadership have already jumped ship, leaving a black hole that even Eric Pickles couldn’t fill. And Nicola Sturgeon walks into the lion’s den, where apparently the lion of Scotland has roared according to Alex Salmond. Nevertheless, she has no experience of Westminster and a platform that rests solely on independence…and how well did that work the first time, huh? The reason that Cameron and Osborne can sleep comfortably tonight is that they will walk into a Commons that they effectively have complete ownership over. Again, it makes me feel uneasy.

The Labour leadership have already jumped ship, leaving a black hole that even Eric Pickles couldn’t fill.

malias

photo: malias / Flickr

Although, giving them their dues, they do have a mandate. I fully respect the fact that they did the job and now they have it all to do – we must admit, it is one of the most impressive campaigns in modern British history and Dave didn’t even see it coming. The scary part however, especially for me, is that voters lied. Not on May 7, but to the pollsters, and to their friends, and maybe some of them to themselves. There are obviously some of you that couldn’t tell your friends that you were voting Conservative or even UKIP because you didn’t want to be seen as a racist or right wing, but you secretly agreed. If you look at Coventry South, the biggest headline isn’t Cunningham, but the fact that UKIP increased their share by over 9.2% – a ridiculous margin. My fear is that some people really do agree with them – that their politics which is seemingly ridiculous to someone like me – can have a dramatic impact on those that might not vote otherwise. People are clearly angry, and the result shows a move for every person for themselves. Fuck the vulnerable, fuck the unemployed, fuck the poor, the hungry, the disabled, the disadvantaged, the minorities, the immigrants. It is all about me, and if there is a government out there that saves me over everyone else, then that is the box I want to put a cross in.

Fuck the vulnerable, fuck the unemployed, fuck the poor, the hungry, the disabled, the disadvantaged, the minorities, the immigrants.

I don’t want to sound like I am aligned to any particular thought or political preference. I also don’t want to sound like a lunatic, but I’m frightened of the next five years as are many others. Having said that and taken a side on voting day, I was disappointed by the result but I remain optimistic. The country will do well under the Tories, as it has done previously, but who will really benefit from this prosperity is the real question. Amongst the grey cloud that seemingly trundled over campus today, I believe that there is a silver lining. I am incredibly proud of our #WarwickVotes campaign. The vote amongst 18-25s increased to show that 6 out of 10 young people voted, and that one of them will even be walking into the Commons as an MP. There is hope that those that sat in the Atrium yesterday will have a more prosperous day in a future where their views are taken more seriously, rather than systematically side-lined. But the vote, as I have said throughout, is just the beginning. This engagement must carry on in order to hold them accountable, because I guarantee you that this Parliament will need to be watched and scrutinised. This isn’t over by a long stretch. Let’s make Great Britain greater, Dave? I have no doubt you will Mr. Cameron, but I hope it is meant for the right people. Us.

Warwick votes