Editor’s Letters: “Take a risk”

[dropcap]T[/dropcap]ake a risk – it’s not going to be easy, but it’s going to be worth it. I’m not just throwing random quotes at you, I want to tell you the story of how I got to this life motto.

When I got to uni – an anxious 17-year-old international student – I didn’t think I would accomplish what I have this year. When I applied for the Comment Deputy Editor position, I didn’t really believe I was going to get it. After all, much more experienced people were after the job.

Why me then? When I asked the question to Hiran later on, he said that he was really impressed by my interview. I don’t know what happened that day, but when I walked into the interview, I was composed and confident. The key is to trust yourself, and people will trust you.

One of the life-changing experience that the Boar has given me was that by exposing me to so many different writers and their opinions it made me realise that there is always another, hidden, side to every story.

Don’t jump to conclusions based on what the media says or what society dictates. Always try to see a little further, research, find out for yourself and be informed.

It has also given me the opportunity to meet people with similar interests to mine and their activism, passion and ambition have inspired me everyday to speak up and stand up for what I believe in.

I was given things to do that I never thought I could do. But something weird happened, I rose to the occasion, I learned. This is why I am telling you to take risks.

Even if you feel like you’re going to be out of your depth – and believe me, I was convinced that I was – just do it. Don’t let your fear of failing stop you from pursuing your ambitions and you will be surprised by how quickly you’ll catch on.

Make that fear your advantage: that’s what will encourage you to work harder, stay longer hours and learn as much as you can. No one ever achieves anything by staying in their comfort zone. You don’t want to spend your life playing on the safe side, do you?

At the end of last term, I was elected Comment Editor and I’m not going to lie to you – I’m terrified of messing it up. Am I going to let this take me down? No. I’m going to double my efforts to make sure that I don’t.

And if you’re reading this today, it means that I didn’t. I have managed to put my first Comment section out there, and there’s much more to come.
[divider]

Photo: flickr/benstephenson